• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing seat heaters in 01 limited

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, like the title says... When it first starts up you can tur the heater on but it does nothing. Then after it realizes nothing is happening the HI light just blinks when you push it... does anyone know what this means or how to fix it? We're looking at buying this jeep and just want to know what fixing this entails. I'm used to my 89 that doesn't even have a check engine light lol so i'm totally boggled.

bump

I can't say for sure with a Jeep, but with the brand I work with every day it sounds like a bad heater element in the seat pad. Thing to do would be track down the connector from the seat heater element before it plugs into the module and check resistance for an open. Consider yourself lucky if it didn't fry the seat cushion when it burned out, then familiarize yourself with hogring pliers.

I can't say for sure with a Jeep, but with the brand I work with every day it sounds like a bad heater element in the seat pad. Thing to do would be track down the connector from the seat heater element before it plugs into the module and check resistance for an open. Consider yourself lucky if it didn't fry the seat cushion when it burned out, then familiarize yourself with hogring pliers.
Thanks man, i'll do that for sure. It's going to be my mom's and she has a bad back so the heated seats are a must for her. Especially in the winter, which is coming up fast here in utah.

Bad news is the heating element is burnt open, Common problem. Most likely is burnt open at the spot in the seat beneath your RT thigh closer to knee bend as you sit.

Good news is it can be fixed easily if you know how to solder or know someone that can.

Raise the seat as high as it high as it will go. I assume it has power seats since it has a heated seat.

Remove the three side cover screws. and unplug the wiring harness from the side cover.

Unhook the J-channel hold down in front of the seat trim. There is also a plastic piece that is sewed to the trim that snaps to the seat frame just below where the wires come through for the switches. Carefully pry that part out.

Carefully pull the seat trim off and toward the back of the seat up to the where the first trim wire is mounted to the cushion.

Look at the underneath side of the trim(actual fabric/leather) for a burn mark. That is where the heating element opened.

Use your fingers to seperate the foam down to where the wires are ~10-12mm.

Strip back the insulation on the wires about 1-2mm and solder together. Don't knick the wires or it will break again at the knick.

I used a very small piece of gorilla brand tape to reinsulate the heating element and a much larger piece to hold the forn foam back together.

Stretch the trim back over the seat and test before clipping the trim back on.

I have done this repair three times now. Got it down to about 15 mins. I really like the butt warmer on cold mornings.

Bad news is the heating element is burnt open, Common problem. Most likely is burnt open at the spot in the seat beneath your RT thigh closer to knee bend as you sit.

Good news is it can be fixed easily if you know how to solder or know someone that can.

Raise the seat as high as it high as it will go. I assume it has power seats since it has a heated seat.

Remove the three side cover screws. and unplug the wiring harness from the side cover.

Unhook the J-channel hold down in front of the seat trim. There is also a plastic piece that is sewed to the trim that snaps to the seat frame just below where the wires come through for the switches. Carefully pry that part out.

Carefully pull the seat trim off and toward the back of the seat up to the where the first trim wire is mounted to the cushion.

Look at the underneath side of the trim(actual fabric/leather) for a burn mark. That is where the heating element opened.

Use your fingers to seperate the foam down to where the wires are ~10-12mm.

Strip back the insulation on the wires about 1-2mm and solder together. Don't knick the wires or it will break again at the knick.

I used a very small piece of gorilla brand tape to reinsulate the heating element and a much larger piece to hold the forn foam back together.

Stretch the trim back over the seat and test before clipping the trim back on.

I have done this repair three times now. Got it down to about 15 mins. I really like the butt warmer on cold mornings.
Thanks for the info man, you don't happen to have pictures od you?? Also, the electric seat is broken so i can't make it move up. In fact up is the only direction it won't go haha, all the other directions work except that one... :( You would't happen to know how to fix that too do ya? it makes a sound when you push the button but it doesn't go anywhere.

Side note, the PO told us it was adjustable lumbar support! LOL

Run a search, I've done a complete write up with pics on the heated seat repair with the 99 XJ Limited heated seat I put into my 97. I listed the info here on NAXJA and also on JeepForum.com.

BTW, Greenz is pretty much dead on with his description.

Back