• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distributor alignment?

RDPackrat

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an 89 MJ 4.0 that stopped running, which turned out to be a loose ignition switch plug. But it won't start. Fuel pump runs, it fires, but sounded like it was off.

It appeared the distributor was off by 180, but now that I have the notch on the crank pulley lined up with the timing marks, the rotor is between #1 and #4 on the cap.

Figured I'd ask how to fix this before I mess something up or do it the hard way. I assume I can just loosen the bolts and rotate it?

I'm internet-taught when it comes to mechanics, so simple explanations work well. :wave1:

Rotating the distributor on these engines changes the fuel injector timing, not the ignition timing. The ignition module moves the spark timing around as it sees fit. Of course the base timing has to be dead on. There're a few write ups around if you search. If I remember right the rotor needs to be ahead of the #1 terminal as it fires off the trailing edge.

And I'm assuming you realize that the piston hits TDC twice but it only fires once..

Back