• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oh oh

nwo98xj

NAXJA Forum User
drowed the xj the other day and had to change the oil twice and i managed to break the oil presure sending unit. now the jeep runs a bit funny, bad idle i figure i need to clean my iac but the jeep does not want to shift "aw4" could this have to do with the computer thinking there is no oil presue and put it into a limp home mode .....any ideas....oh no water in the tranny or diffs but like i said i had to change it in the engine. 2 times but looks fine now

oil pressure sending units are only $20. I ordered one from 4wd.com.

As for your tranny, unplug your tranny control module located under the dash on the driver side. Clean it out and dry it out and reconnect and see if it works any better. Otherwise, go to a junkyard and find a replacement one. I always keep a spare, even though mine has survived many drownings.

The oil sending unit should not affect the way the motor runs, it's only for the gauge.

How did you get water into the oil but not into the tranny of diffs?

i went through a whole on the way in but on the way out all the trucks that came behind me had bigger tire and dug big rutts .....the hood was under water the a second and the wave licked the windshield. i check every thing else and it is fine ...does the oil sending unit need a speceal tool.....looks different...

well oil presure seding unit is in and now it wont idle at all .....uggggg. i had the battery discoed all day to air out the jeep and when i hooked it back up the check gauges light is not out but the check engine is still on, i am going to try and clean the idle air control and see what happens ....any other ideas
thanks

I would be more concerned about the engine internals. I would pull the plugs and do a compression test. If you sucked water down the intake, I would be surprised if you don't have at least a bent push rod. Pulling the pan and doing a good visual inspection would be in my plans.

yeah i had that thought to but i cleaned the throtle body and the idle air control and it runs fine now with no nocks pings or any other issues. except it wont shift ......what am i looking for ....wet sensors broken wires.......any ideas. thanks

ok got it cleaned 2 laps around the yard (4 acers) and it started to 1,2 shift and by theree laps all seems well but the check engine light is still on....maybe it will clear in time.....

disconnect the batt. and hold the ends togather for 20 sec and reconnect should shut the light if it comes back on then get it scanned.

sounds like i still have a prob this a.m. i had to tap the gas to get it to start and it is idleing low. and won't shift from first to second till 4200rpm and wont come out of second........getting a code reader, at noon any other ideas...thanks....

TPS like said before, cleaning it really don't help. They do not like water at all. Need to replace it.

yeah thanks i think your right but i want to put the code scanner on it to confirm cause i hate to spend money and find out i was wrong

o.k. need more help need to know what to do with a code 0740, i have tryed searching the net and all i can find is a few people with the prob but no fix. toruqe converter lock up, is all i can find out....please help....thanks

700 and 740 but 740 has cleared and it shifts fine but still idles bad, i have tryed anouther tps but did not change a thing.......going to try changing iac next

Back