• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear box and coil rubbing questions

stevieb

NAXJA Forum User
1-recently right hand coil has started to rub up against the track bar bracket and the coil seems to be bulged a little (RHD XJ).

2-went wheeling yesterday and when i got home yesterday afternoon waiting for electric gate to open put XJ into "Park" (at slight down hill). when i put into drive there was a hard release noise and jerk-hard to describe but didn't sound good.

any answers will help;)

I don't know what your climate does to things, but here in New England, it's not at all uncommon for the springs to rust and break near the bottom. I'd look first for a broken coil. It may take a little looking to find it, and it helps to jack the body up to extend the coil. Also make sure that the coil did not get rotated in its seat. If you wheeled hard and flexed a lot, and if the little hold down bracket on the bottom wasn't tight, perhaps it got twisted. If you look at the seat, you'll see that the shape matches the shape of the coil, and if it isn't seated right, the coil will bulge.

For the clunk, putting it in park on a slope will put a fair amount of strain on the drive train, and a clunk on release is not uncommon, especially if you didn't have a firm foot on the brake when you put it in gear. It's probably still a good idea to check universal joints, etc., but I wouldn't worry too much unless it clunks regularly. You can minimize clunks if you engage the parking brake before you put it in park.

well had a look just now while stripping to install RC 6.5 and could not see anything wrong.
coil looks ok. maybe it is because of wheelin hard this weekend. well that is now at an end.
i just have a problem to make a track bar for the rc lift.

concerning the g/box. just before i started stripping reversed xj up the drive way again. held foot on brakes put into park and released it again and all is well. been wheelin in lotsa mud lately and think mud chewed up rear shoe causing e brake not to work to well.

thx anyways
steve

Back