• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling

J Money

NAXJA Forum User
Okay... some of you can flame away for not using the search button.

Rightfully so...

I just got back from the bar and I am feeling LAZY.

So what model Flex-A-Lite Fan and which radiator are you boys running? I want this stuff to be race quality. Just a part number, price, and where you bought it would make my life easier. I want to complete these upgrades in the next couple weeks. Any input would be great! Thanks!!

Sorry for cheating, I will search next time I swear. Thanks guys!

mine likes to run on the hot side and heading up the big mountain passes to get to the desert it starts to get on the worrysome side. But today i bought a CSF 3 row radiator to put in so ill see how much that helps. Also looking into putting a switch for the electric fan instead of having it auto.

The stock fan for the AC, or a replacement unit instead of the fan clutch/manual fan? I looked at some Flex-A-Lite models but none of them seem to pull enough CFM.

Mine is from Active Radiator. Bolts directly into the Cherokee. All Aluminum, 2-1" cores with extra thick tubes and they will space the cooling fins further apart to allow silt and dirt to flow thru easier without plugging up the radiator. (they did for ours anyway)
http://www.activeradiator.com/performance_main.php

Then have it sent to PRW here in Lake Elsinore and have them mount their 3 fan set up on it.
http://www.pwr-performance.com/radiator_main.htm
Note: Only reason we didnt get the radiator from PWR is that they dont offer a direct bolt in set up, but if you take the Jeep down there they will make the mounts for you.

Even on the hottest day race it wont run over 150*. I need to put in a 195* thermostat.

Jeepspeed rule:
4.1.5.10 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Engine radiator must be in stock location +/- 1. Approved aluminum replacement radiators are allowed at a maximum cost of $450.All radiators must fit into original location.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

How much did i cost you to have all that done? I looked on the Active Radiator site and didn't see anything for an XJ.

Isn't running it at 150* all the time to cold?

Mine is from Active Radiator. Bolts directly into the Cherokee. All Aluminum, 2-1" cores with extra thick tubes and they will space the cooling fins further apart to allow silt and dirt to flow thru easier without plugging up the radiator. (they did for ours anyway)
http://www.activeradiator.com/performance_main.php

Then have it sent to PRW here in Lake Elsinore and have them mount their 3 fan set up on it.
http://www.pwr-performance.com/radiator_main.htm
Note: Only reason we didnt get the radiator from PWR is that they dont offer a direct bolt in set up, but if you take the Jeep down there they will make the mounts for you.

Even on the hottest day race it wont run over 150*. I need to put in a 195* thermostat.

Jeepspeed rule:
4.1.5.10 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Engine radiator must be in stock location +/- 1. Approved aluminum replacement radiators are allowed at a maximum cost of $450.All radiators must fit into original location.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

How much did i cost you to have all that done? I looked on the Active Radiator site and didn't see anything for an XJ.

Isn't running it at 150* all the time to cold?

450.00 for the radiator. 300.00 for the fan set up (custom)

150* is way to cold, but the Jeep Tricks motor has SO much power that it's hard to imagine getting more out of a 4.0L, so I dont miss it.

Just been to lazy to replace the thermostat...

edit: Active deffinetaly makes one, it's just not on their site.

Thanks for the info, I am going to look into doing a setup like that.

Thats my biggest pet pieve(sp?), having my engine running hot.

Esp if I am heading out to the desert in 100* weather.

...,having my engine running hot.
Esp if I am heading out to the desert in 100* weather.
Before you spend $$$ on upgrades, figure out why your jeeps overheating in the stock config. Everything working right, the stock Cherokee system can handle 100-110deg easily.

The factory system isn't rated for 100% duty cycle, and racing/serious pre-run/hard play require upgrades, but the stock system should be more then adequate for almost any sane on-road driving/trail running.

but the stock system should be more then adequate for almost any sane on-road driving/trail running.
=========================================================================
True but he is running 32 with no listing of regearing. Add a 11 year old rad into the mix and you got trouble.on long hills.
I would go with a HD rad. NO I say NO flex fan for any real offing.

Why no flex fan for hard offing. F fans will go flat at high RPM. "DAAA" This works well on the street when most of the time your in higher RPM your road speed is also higher and natural air flow at speed will cool the rad.
Off road:
First off many Jeeps are geared deep, very deep even for it's given tire size. So the engine is tacked up with the blades starting to flatting out. But with much less road/trail speed to push air into the rad.
2. Many F fans will not pull the same air as most stocker will at any RPM.
3. If you trying to spin out of trouble. Your RPM are very high you fan is dead flat but with little or no road speed to cool the rad. Then you over heat.
A go faster that just makes short runs to grab some air then shut down. Should be fine with a F fan but any one doing real long hard pulls type of offing. Should look else were for there cooling needs.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( IMO )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Last edited:
450.00 for the radiator. 300.00 for the fan set up (custom)

150* is way to cold, but the Jeep Tricks motor has SO much power that it's hard to imagine getting more out of a 4.0L, so I dont miss it.

Just been to lazy to replace the thermostat...

edit: Active deffinetaly makes one, it's just not on their site.

3 Spal fans you say? What fan size did they fit to the stock size radiator?

i got a new csf 3 row radiator like $170 shipped new water pump thermostat and remove the mechanical fan and run 2 stock E fans drivers side is mounted upside down, ive always had cooling problems with my last 3 XJs this fixed that and it didint pass 210 in ocotillo in july

Whatever you do, do not mount the electric fans on the inside of the radiator... Because electric fan motors have a thermal shut off, so the hot engine bakes the fans under the hood then on a hot day... When you NEED the fans most, they stop working.

The 100% best electric fan option (Ive tried ALL options) is to build a plastic template that fits inside the grille, the plastic piece mounts 3 - 10" electric fans side by side and gives the fans something to bolt to and also makes a shroud so the air flows properly. You can fit the 3 10" fans recessed in front of the radiator, away from the heat of the engine and they provide coverage of 90% of the surface area of the radiator and create huge amounts of cool air flow through the radiator. I used 1/4" thick polyethelene and I cut three large circles with a jig saw, then sealed the edges with Weather Stripping to seal & direct the airflow. 10" Fans on eBay are very cheap, get the thinnest ones you can find.

For like $40 you can build this set up, I wired all 3 fans on seperate switches so I can run 1,2 or 3 at a time. I ditched my mechanical fan and this set up will cool the hottest of engines along with some adequate hood venting.

Always put the fans on the front of the radiator as Pushers! And NO they do not block the air flow... THEY ARE the AIR FLOW!

or get a good radiator so you dont have to run 3 fans to make it work,i never run 2 fans but i have a backup just in case, bigger radiator + more coolant + more fins per inch = more cooling.

3 row replacement radiator with 2 stock Jeep electric fans. We have zero cooling issues on the racer. They are mounted on the inside of the radiator and we have NEVER had one shut down due to heat, even in Barstow/Lucerne/Plaster City in July/August while racing.

Back