• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 SYE with Front Driveshaft?

akennedy99

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
Just trying to figure this out for future planning. I know you can use a front driveshaft from an automatic XJ for the rear driveshaft after doing a SYE

Does anyone run a np242 4.0L automatic D35 rear end and do the Tom Woods SYE on the 242 and use a front driveshaft from an automatic XJ?

Is it possible? I clearly want to do things on the cheap so this would be great!

Thanks,
Alex

Tom Woods made up a front and rear for me - they are very high quality and run quiet and vibration free at 90 on the highway.

The front DS is designed to take 49%(?) of the engine HP and put it to the front wheels when 4wd is engaged. The rear DS is designed to take 100% of the engine HP and put it to the rear wheels when in 2WD. The front shaft might work, but it may leave you by the side of the road as you are trying to use it for something that it was not designed to do. Unless you never get down on the skinny pedal and stay on pavement, save up and get the right parts, you'll be better off in the long run. Compare what you save against the cost to tow your jeep home - there's the added or avoided costs.

Mark

I disagree with mfascuba. There are plenty of people - myself included, that run a front DS in the rear with a SYE. It has never been a problem. They are plenty strong.

Back