• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana hp30 and 8.25

98cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a dana hp30 front axle and a 8.25 rear,i use the jeep as a daily driver,but i wanna make it a weekend off road toy to.How would these axles hold up locked front and rear with 4:88 gears and stock shafts.

That would depend on the tire size, the weight of your right foot, and the level of sanity in your brain.

What size tires you planning, 35"s?

well i dont have a heavy right foot for sure i like to crawl.I like to try thangs that look almost impossible.and yes ill run 35's later on but for now 33" super swamper ltb's

My experience in Georgia involved sand(lots)and mud(lots more) which probably explains your choice of the 'swampers. Mud seems to be a little more forgiving then rocks, but you make up for that by using gobs of throttle. On the other hand, you said you like to crawl, which kind of indicates rocks. I don't know which is worse.
\Anyway you'll be pushing it with that axle/locker/tire size combo.

The 'swampers will make the problem worse.(Those big "paddle" lugs get spinning, then come to a dead stop when one of them grab something) My guess is, you're going to snap axles with that combo if you play in the rocks

4.88s are "a little deep" for both the -30 and the 8.25. The good news is, you'll snap the stock axle shafts before the gears break.

My experience in Georgia involved sand(lots)and mud(lots more) which probably explains your choice of the 'swampers. Mud seems to be a little more forgiving then rocks, but you make up for that by using gobs of throttle. On the other hand, you said you like to crawl, which kind of indicates rocks. I don't know which is worse.
\Anyway you'll be pushing it with that axle/locker/tire size combo.

The 'swampers will make the problem worse.(Those big "paddle" lugs get spinning, then come to a dead stop when one of them grab something) My guess is, you're going to snap axles with that combo if you play in the rocks

4.88s are "a little deep" for both the -30 and the 8.25. The good news is, you'll snap the stock axle shafts before the gears break.

Are you thinking of Boggers?
:confused:

I'm assuming you've got a 98 because of your user name... 29 spline 8.25 and D30 will handle 35's fine unlocked.... I think you could pull it off with cromo shafts and get the 30 spline locker and shafts for your D30. I've discovered that your right foot has more to do with breaking things than anything else.... Just my oppinion. Oh, and locker selection can be kinda hard with the 8.25. They're out there, just not as popular of an axle as a 44 or somethin.

im thankin of gettin aussie lockers cause i've read good thangs about them.but rite now i have 33" bfg all terrains,open diffs,with 3:07 gears.im gonna run the bfgs till i get the money to upgrade to superswamper 33s then later on i mite do a dana 44 axle swap,locked,geared,with chromo shafts,and heavy duty u-joints

if you know how to drive you will be fine.... i run stock shafts with 4.56s and lockrite on 35s and have busted the R&P before the shafts. not sure how but it happened... i have also busted the ujoints....

just gotta know how to not rock bounce or get it in a bind. know where to place your tires and keep it simple.

Back