• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stalling/cut out on road

Curtis_H

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 wagoneer (4.0, aw4) with a bad history of engine problems. I have changed almost everything on it by now, including distributor, TPS, IAC, IAT, O2, CTS, intake manifold gasket, all 6 injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, fixed all the grounds I could find, and of course new spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter. All of it's prior problems are fixed, which were rough ide, very high idle, running rich and dying. Now however it has started dying at stop signs and cutting out slightly while going down the road. It can also be hard to start sometimes. Im thinking coil or crank sensor? or knock sensor? hell thats about all thats left isnt it?

Oh and I also replaced all the vacuum lines and the EGR valve and solonoid. All parts are new.

Problem is that you don't know that the parts you put in were (or still are) any good. Electrical parts have a tendency for infant mortality. Try to change your approach to part testing instead of part pitching. I think you can disconnect the knock sensor to see if that fixes your problem. The coil and crank sensor can be tested with a multimeter. You can also try aggravating the problem by heating up the component with a hair dryer. Intermittent conditions are difficult to diagnose.

I have tested these parts, and then re-tested the new ones. I am not prone to throwing away good parts, its just that this thing has not been maintained as it should.

first post, filter and pump both new, relay has been checked.

Back