• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get her started. No spark. Electrical system acting up.

AshtonPJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I've got a 96 XJ 2wd 4.0 with 164K and it's been doing pretty well up until now. About a week ago, it started to rain so it was perfect to take off the doors and go out in the desert a little bit. I grabbed 3 friends and did just that. I went out to an old dried up lake bed and the rain was just enough to make it all slippery and muddy. Nothing with any depth to it. Mud was slung all over my jeep inside and out but the engine bay remained as clean as it is on any normal day and none of the electrical system inside got touched. The rain remained light and in just about 2 hours, I was on my way back to town. Got back on the roads, drove for about 6 miles, got gas and then another 3 miles and i tried to accelerate kinda quick. Got up to about 50 and boom. Jeep died. I coasted to a stop on the roadside. I tried starting it. Cranked. Nothin. I noticed right away, the fuel pump wasn't priming. Checked the valve on the fuel rail and it barely squirted. My first though was that I over stressed my fuel pump and it fried. I was waiting for the thing to go out for a while. I got a new fuel pump, siphoned most of my tank and installed the new pump..still....nothing. This told me it was electrical. I traced it back to the fuse box and the fuse was just fine(I also checked it when I first died) However, if I pull out the relay and put it back in(as long as the key is in the on position), the pump will prime...BUT not only will it prime, it keeps going and doesn't stop until I turn the key off or try to crank the motor. I definitely have fuel pressure when I do that, but I still have no ignition. At this point I figured it must be spark, checked for spark...nothing. Not even from the coil. I asked a mechanic and he said it sounds like it could be the crankshaft position sensor. I went out and bought one. Still no ignition and still no spark. I must have tried cranking it about 15 times and it was on jumper cables the whole time because I had killed the battery while working on it before. BUT THERE'S MORE...all of a sudden, it stopped cranking. When I turned the key, it gave me a rapid clicking noise. That's where I left it. I don't know what to. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Thank you. Yeah I was told that it sounded like the starter solenoid by a couple different people so I figure that's that. However, still nothing about the lack of spark. Ignition coil?? Anyone have any ideas?

sounds like its coming from the distributor. pull the cap and check the rotor

Did that as well. The rotor spins. No carbon build-up. I had waterproofed it months back. Also, I tried getting spark from the ignition coil after trying each plug and no even the ignition coil was putting out spark.

Hallo. What about the ignition switch? Good contacts are needed for the starter relay and for the fuelpump relay and ASD relay.
Did you test the starter/solenoid with a jump wire on #30 and #87 by the starter relay holder. You can also let spin/test the motor (without the solenoid) to connect the 2 big contacts on it.
One wire is always hot coming from the battery. :)

'92 XJ

Just a shot in the dark, but 1. how is your battery, you said it was on jumpers from running it down, throw a full charge on it and see what happens. 2. how is your alternator? Lost the alternator on my truck several years ago and had to limp it to my BIL's house on just the battery. I remember it running like crap until we got it on the charger and gave it a full charge. That got me home where I could get a new alternator.

The low voltage could explain the starter clicking and the lack of spark. Does your jeep have idiot lights or the alt gauge? That was the first sign that my alternator took a dump- the gauge pegged to zero and my radio went dead.

HTH.

Scooter

First thing you need to do is get the starter to crank. Use your jumper cables directly from your good vehicle to the starter motor. Make sure you are in park with the brake on. You do also need to charge your battery. I know you would think that if it has enough juice to crank, that it should run, but on XJ's that is not always the case.

Wim, thank you, I will try all of this.
Sc00ter, yeah, Alternator's almost brand new. Just got it like 2 months ago. Same with the battery but I was very impatient last night and didn't let it get a full charge so that, i will look into.
Winter, yeah I will be sure to fully charge the battery this time around. Or do like you said and run the good one straight to my starter.
Thank you everyone very much.

Back