• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC questions

jiltedjester

NAXJA Forum User
when my 98 cherokee is all warmed up on a hot day and i get into it and turn the ac on and drive about 20 feet not only does it not cool down right away but the compressor will do its horrid bleed off thing. when the jeep isnt warmed up on a hot day this does not happen. any sugestions could help. thank you

This is too much of a coincidence.....I live in Springfield and have a 98 XJ with the same problem. My situation arose when I replaced the low pressure switch to fix an intermittent AC operation. That didn't work so I topped off the freon using a gauge that came with the kit. Obviously the gauge was wrong because it allowed me to overfill the system. Now I'm getting the exact same horrible noise you're describing. I tried purging some of the freon but without an accurate gauge I'm hesitant to mess with it. I did call a local shop in Springfield and they guy said the pressure relief valve would work until the pressure was in the safe zone. The pressure relief valve is on the back of the compressor and when it opens it sprays freon and oil all over the side of the motor and distributor. Mine was covered after hearing the valve open for 3 seconds.

Back