• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle shaft help please

big__al

NAXJA Forum User
hi , im new to the forum , and have my first question for you's

i have a 99 2.5td jeep cherokee , i need to replace the drivers side axle shaft and was wondering .. would a shaft from another model ie 4.0 petrol etc fit my jeep.

any help is greatfully appreciated.

al

Yes.

Every Cherokee came with the D30 front axle. Since we are talking about the driver side, the axle shaft lengths never changed, however the size u-joint they used did. Your '99 uses the stronger 297/760 u-joints, where as in the early '90s they used a smaller 260 u-joint. If this is just for daily driving, it won't matter much, but it would be nice to look for the 297/760 u-joints.

The unit bearing hubs did change as well, so depending on what year you pull the shaft from, you could potentially just swap the entire unit bearing/u-joint assembly.

Are you talking front or rear axle shaft? There are 2 different rear axle's dana 35 or chrysler 8.25

What is wrong with the axle shaft? Is it broken, or is the U-Joint in need of replacement?

Pictures of the carnage?

Wow, I could have sworn I saw front axle shaft in his post.

This guy has ONE post.
How often do you hear of an axle shaft going south other than a breakage from wheeling? (In Scotland)
What usually goes first on a shaft?

Just trying to help.

hi lads.. its the front shaft thats shot at the u joint ,maybe i should have been a bit clearer about the year and model of the donor shaft , the reason i ask is that i have been offered a front shaft from a 95 4.0 petrol model and mines is a 99 2.5td model , does anyone know know is will this shaft fit my car .

thanks again

al

It will work, take the old shaft out and put the new shaft in...done.

Back