• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Replaced rear diff cover

chiefchankton

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed after the past 3 months of not driving my 01 Cherokee Sport that the rear differential has been leaking. So thanks to the helpful Faq, I decided to change the seal on the rear differential. I bought a new diff cover (Dana 35), sealed it properly and the thing is still leaking! It looks like the leak is coming from the top of the differential. Does anyone know what this problem is?!

Thank you!

would the rear main seal be leaking in that area?

The rear main seal is at the back of the engine, so without out a severe headwind I think we can rule that out.....

I don't understand how it could be leaking out of the top of the diff cover....does it leak when its just sitting in the driveway or after you have driven it? I suggest pulling the cover off, ensure the mating surfaces are CLEAN, then reinstall and fill with the required amount of gear oil.

Good luck.

Have you been driving it now? the thing is only filled up to about the 1/2 way point through the fill hole, so I can't imagine it sitting and leaking out the top. Are you sure it isn't brake fluid leaking up there, as the right side brake line runs directly over the top of the diff.

Very few places I can think of where it would leak at the top. Where is the vent on the 01 Cherokee?

Here is an old post that may help. The only thing I do different is coat the bolts with a mild Loc-tite.

2qmga39.png

I've had a differential or two that would spew out of the vent, if I run for extended periods at high speeds. A quality diff oil cured that, I switched to Redline and never had anymore trouble.
If I remember correctly, I've had a bolt or two on the diff seep (in the days before I started using Loc-tite on them). A little differential oil can look like more than it is, a small stain can look like a leak. Does it drip?

I will snap some pics after work. I am thinking top because I had to bolt a retainer clip for a hose line that goes parallel with the rear axle. I bet you that the brake line is either shot or I will have to check the pinion seal. Someone mentioned something about a vent for the diff? The diff leaks when it is just sitting there and driving because when i look at the gas tank there is oil splatter.

I appreciate all the comments and help! Pics will follow!

A couple of things. If you used a "paper" gasket without another sealant and cleaned the mating surfaces well, it can take a bit of time for the oil to saturate the seal and stop any tiny drips.
OR,
Since it's at the top of the diff., be sure you don't have a minor fuel leak as the gas lines are right above the the rear end. If you have undercoating like mine a bit of added gas can make an oily mess.

we actually used a paper gasket and rtv sealant. I had it in the shop today for an inspection and apparently there is a small leak in the EVAP system. They are going to do a smoke test and see whats up with that. Man, when it rains it pours. The guy mentioned that there might be a pinion seal leak. How extensive is the repair for that?I dont want to get hosed if they offer to fix it. What am I expecting for the repair costs?

Thanks again!

a pinion seal will cost you about five to fifteen bucks from rockauto/discountjeepparts/teamcherokee/autozone. Installing it may require an impact wrench or a second person to get the pinion nut out of the yoke (and you'll have to pull a u-joint apart) but otherwise is pretty easy. There are a few threads on how to do it in the FAQ section and/or sticky threads. I'd bet on maybe a hundred to two hundred bucks to get a garage to do it for you.

. . . I had it in the shop today for an inspection and apparently there is a small leak in the EVAP system. They are going to do a smoke test and see whats up with that. . . . The guy mentioned that there might be a pinion seal leak. How extensive is the repair for that?I dont want to get hosed if they offer to fix it.

Thanks again!
You have a Cherokee now, time to start doing some of your own work:)

You can probably find a loose hose clamp yourself and fix the evap.
"there might be a pinion seal leak". Unless it leaves spots regularly after you fix the fuel drip, "they all do that" or "it's just marking it's territory" is the proper answer to most small "oil" leaks.

Welcome to the "club"!

Yeah tell me about it! (No Bashing) but this jeep "world" is a little different from my honda "world". Both are great vehicles but I have never owned anything but fwd 4 bangers. I would have done more research by now but I am at work and dont have access to pictures (weak).

Thanks for all of the input and thank you for the welcoming into this community! I am sure, I will be spending many hours on this site!

The Dana 35 is a weak axle. XJ's are well built and tough but not perfect. For the $200 you would pay the shop to replace the pinion seal, you could probably find a stock XJ 8.25 rear axle in the junkyard, craigslist, or on here. It's a direct bolt in replacement and is much stronger than the D35.
Good luck and your Jeep will take you places your Honda never dreamed of.

Back