• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cold air, not hot heat!

davehoose

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 laredo with excellent air (including rear air) but heat is intermittent at best. all hoses seem to work but i don't have heat or cruise control. i think it's related but don't know. clues?
more info i-6 with aw4 and 4wd and power everything but the seats

definetly a vacume issue. check under the pass side of the front bumper and make sure you have a football shaped canister there and that it has 2 vac lines running to it.

If its blowing any kind of air out of the vents its not a vacuum issue,EDIT, I miss-read, you can check the vacuum ball inside the right side front bumper and see if the vacuum lines have fallen off, and then trace them from there to the fire wall. Sometimes they get rotton under where it goes by the battery. Once you got the vacuum fixed. you need to power flush your heater core, heres how. good luck
http://www.olypen.com/craigh/heater.htm

Check to see that the valve in the heater hose line near the firewall is opening when you turn on the heat. It is a vacuum actuated valve and you can see the little pod move the lever on it.
Feel the hose on the other side of the valve towards the firewall and see if it feels hot.

Andy

Most of the time it's the big vacuum line going under the battery, but even a pinhole leak in the little vacuum line going to the heater-core flow control valve will cause the same situation... (I know from personal experience on an 89, lol)

Back