• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 and 60 bolt pattern????

I have a 78 f-250 8 lug HP D44, and a 78 rear dana 60 8 lug. I am planning on narrowing the rear and going semi float, but am only finding dual bolt pattern shafts so I am limited to the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I have been searching will no luck as to what parts I need to convert my front 44 to 5 on 5.5. Or is there any way i can narrow the rear and still keep it full float, and 8 lug.

I figure it will be easier to convert the front, since I will want new knuckles for hight steer any way. What parts do i need to do this conversion. I assume i need new hubs, and rotors, and maybe new spindles. If you know please help me out. I am just in the gathering parts phase so I have time to search. thanks.....

also would i be better off to just stay full width and keep it all 8 lug, and just get the rear spindles bored out to accept 35 spline FF axles. I am switching to discs in the rear too.

this is all down the road, as I am hoping to build this to be very strong for 35's I would love to stay stock width, but o well...

Last edited:
It is uber (or is that ubber?) easier to keep them full width, not to mention much much cheaper (ask me how I know!)
Kick down the membership dough and check the Advanced Fab section.
Most of the information (if not ALL) is there.

BTW there are many ways of going 5x5.5 in the front.

grab 1/2 ton chevy knuckles, spindles, and brake brackets and then f150 hubs and rotors. you could narrow the front to waggy specs and the 60 to xj D44 width and use 35 spline alloy usa rear shafts. Problems solved.

I may do the chevy knuckle swap and that would get me closer with flat top knuckles, and i could narrow it. Won't H1 wheels create problems with the steering. I thought the h1's would interfere with the drag link and tie rod. O well lots of ideas. I still have time and alot of searching to do. Thanks...

I will check for links in the axle thread on the bolt pattern change. I remember looking at your build on another site to keep it full float, i do know someone who could weld the axle. I think the more I search even tho its more work, I think i will narrow it and go semi float and 5 on 5.5 just to keep things a little less wide.

Back