• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I maximize fuel economy on a stocker?

Kevin108

NAXJA Forum User
I'm leaving my Jeep stock height. Not planning on any power mods, though sometimes they overlap with mileage mods.

How can I maximize fuel economy on a stocker beyond driving techniques?

Hallo. Maintenance. Filters and sensors. :wave1:

'92 XJ
air filter is really important, replace that sucker as often as you feel like it. I usually do every 2-3 oil changes instead of every 15000 miles as the manual says (I think). I went from 16.7 to 18 mpg this way without changing anything else.

Also - keep your tires at recommended pressure.

I think a front skidplate in place of the air dam would help quite a bit. I have yet to install one and experiment though.

If you look on the Ecomodder.com forum, there is a guy with an aeromodded XJ. He built a full bellypan etc.

Plugs, wires (cap and rotor if you have a 99-), free flowing filter and exhaust, don't carry more weight than you need to, keep your tire pressures up. I like to dump some Seafoam, MMO, or fuel system cleaner in every few tanks. If you haven't been keeping up on all that, you can get 3-5mpg, which does add up if you spend a lot of time behind the wheel.

Keep your tire pressure up on the max rating on the tire. Mine is 35 PSI. Run synthetic oil including differentials. Oil change interval doesn't matter for gas mileage. Keep air filter clean. Put a vacuum gage on the dash and drive with that as a guide. Nothing else matters. (Drive slow and draft trucks, etc.)

Front end alignment too.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/jeep-cherokee-aeromods-2614.html

1zxshlg.jpg

Last edited:
yes my stock 99 xj 5spd 4x4 with michilen ltx 235/75/15 gets 20 around town and 21-23 on highway and i dont even have cruise yet
maybe get a electric fan. i think im gonna get one this next week.
flexalite 120

Back