• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i messed up today. rear main install need help

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
dropped the pan. pulled the cap. removed lower seal. went to pop upper out and it wouldnt budge. so i was using my rubber mallet and a punch. kept hitting and no movement. then a piece of the block chipped off. i dont know what to do. its the place between the seal and end of block. the block is only about 3/16th thick there. someone told me to jb weld the piece back in. and another told me to just install the seal, and fill the void with silicone when i put the pan back on.

also. i cant get the upper seal off. i have a 90 4.0 with 260,000

Re: i f*cked up today. rear main install need help

Most of the block seal retaining area is still there, right? Just put the new seal in. Yeah, a little extra sillycorn won't hurt. Don't bother with the JB Weld.

Re: i f*cked up today. rear main install need help

If nothing else, loosen all the bearing caps and drop the crank a bit.

dont be afraid to give it a good hit, i had to use a little muscle to get my buddy's out, altho mine came out easy.

ive used the brass punch. its just i hit so hard and the damn thing wont come out. its stuck pretty damn good i guess. but yea. its a bitch. who here followed jeeps instructions and dropped the tranny to do it. cuz i just dropped the pan and saw no reason to drop the trnny

How long has this taken so far... I am still contemplating on doing mine right now... i already drained the oil... but don't really feel like droppin the pan yet as i don't have a torque wrench yet...

i didnt drop the tranny either time. i did however alternate on the sides i hit

How long has this taken so far... I am still contemplating on doing mine right now... i already drained the oil... but don't really feel like droppin the pan yet as i don't have a torque wrench yet...

You will need a proper torque wrench to reinstall the cap. I don't recommend starting any job without all the necessary tools.

I done the same thing(broke the block) I had to drop the crank/trans/TQ and used a little screwdriver between the block and seal and it poped right out. if you search some where on here I have picks of where mine was broken.

RMS =BROKEN BLOCK!!! I found it but I dont know how to post a link if you search my name and look at page 8 its down by the bottom

Last edited:
I replaced mine a couple months ago. I beat on the upper seal for an hour with a steel hammer and it didn't budge. Then I got out my rubber mallet and two hits later it came right out. There was a steel wire in the seal that I had to hit head on to get it to move.

I ended up using a hammer, wd40 and a scribe to very carefully pop it out. If it had any silicone on it try to scrape it off. U can also try some pb plaster in there if the wd40 isnt strrong enough. Mine ended up leaking with the new one argghhh next time I'm going to use a lot more silicone sealant.

alright. i finished this the other day but never got around to telling you guys. I sprayed some pb blaster on it. let it sit for like five mis. so i doubt it helped. then i dropped the crank a little bit by loosening cap 6,5,and 4.then i hit side to side with my punch and rubber mallet. a few mins latter it slide out. the dumb ass stupid F_Ck TARD who did it before me had put locktight on the stupid seal and block. Oh. not too mention he used wayyy too much rtv. he put silicone on the block. then a gasket. then silcone on the pan. it was soo thick it took me 4 hours to get all the crapp off. not too mention i ran my oil pan through a hot tank for two hours to clean it up and that helpped some.

so too all out there. dont do what i did. get all your tools ready before. and start on a saturday mrning so u know you have extra time.

Dayuum Chris gotta love the F Tard wannabe wrenches using loctite on stuff like that I feel for ya man lemme know if it leaks?!?!?! Mine leaked for like three days then stopped.

Back