• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant leak.

StratoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody,

The water valve on my Jeep is leaking and I've been trying to find a replacement part online without success. Is there another name for it? My FSM names it water valve, its in the engine compartment and is between the heater core and water pump, they're four hoses attached to it.

Thanks
Mike

teamcherokee.com should have them

You can make your own with copper.

Thanks for the help. I notice that my local autoparts store have them but they look different, all plastic compare to the old one where it has a metal cylinder, sorry I'm not mechanically incline don't know the technical name for it.

Mike

I'd call it the heater control valve. You are better off without it and your heater won't clog up as easy and need to be flushed. Later models eliminated it and no new vehicles that I know of have one.

I don't know if you will find an OEM metal heater control valve.

teamcherokee.com sells the plastic current manufacture valves.

Q: If you eliminate the valve, how much heat do you get in the cabin? I've thought of doing this but w/o AC it could be quite uncomfortable?

102 today, 104 tomorrow.

I guess I will give it a shot later this year when I flush the system.

I don't know if you will find an OEM metal heater control valve.

teamcherokee.com sells the plastic current manufacture valves.

Q: If you eliminate the valve, how much heat do you get in the cabin? I've thought of doing this but w/o AC it could be quite uncomfortable?

Haven't try that yet. The leak has stop, could it be a block somewhere in the cooling system.

All my local autoparts store carry the plastic ones. I buy one today they're about $18 to $20.

I've done it on two XJ's, an 88 and a 94. It wasn't too hard, other than some creating hacking & hosery for the 'Closed' 88 system. The 1994 was easier, but according to the info I had, the sizes of hoses for the inlet/outlet is different from where the output/input from the engine. ie: The hose from the top of the water pump is smaller than the size of the heater-core line. (1/2" into a 3/8", not exact measurements, my memory sucks and I did it almost two years ago.) I just man-handled the hose on there, and double-clamped that SOB.

Of course, it could also explain why I need to replace the heater core now... *L* (Actually, I did damage it, because I pull, and pulled on the HC hoses before slicing them lengthwise and peeling them off. They'd been on there for a while.

I don't have working AC, but I do use the Vents a lot, year round, and I never found it to be hotter than before i cut out the HC valve.

:)

I've done it on two XJ's, an 88 and a 94. It wasn't too hard, other than some creating hacking & hosery for the 'Closed' 88 system. The 1994 was easier, but according to the info I had, the sizes of hoses for the inlet/outlet is different from where the output/input from the engine. ie: The hose from the top of the water pump is smaller than the size of the heater-core line. (1/2" into a 3/8", not exact measurements, my memory sucks and I did it almost two years ago.) I just man-handled the hose on there, and double-clamped that SOB.

Of course, it could also explain why I need to replace the heater core now... *L* (Actually, I did damage it, because I pull, and pulled on the HC hoses before slicing them lengthwise and peeling them off. They'd been on there for a while.

I don't have working AC, but I do use the Vents a lot, year round, and I never found it to be hotter than before i cut out the HC valve.

:)

Instead of buying the "special" (bastardized) hoses, buy some brass barbed adapters and change the hose size, it will save you having to muscle things together and that double clamping doesn't always cut it.

Back