• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 brake pedal into an 88

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
Did the 95/95 booster/mc mod about 2 weeks ago and the brakes work great, but the damn brake switch has me so frustrated I want to crawl into the fetal position in the corner and sob. Well ok maybe not all that, but I'm frustrated. Decided that the easiest way to solve the problem would be to pull a brake pedal assembly from a 95/96 and swap it into my 88.
Went to the pick and pull yesterday and got the pedal, bracket and switch from a 95. Looking up under the dash of the 88 there appears to be a 2nd switch made of white plastic that is a push button style. Any one know what this is. I can't seem to find any info on here of google about it.
Anyone done this swap into an 88 I could use any useful info you might have.
TIA

It might be the switch that kicks the cruise off. A friend of mine did this swap into an '89.The pedals are different. Without a welder the two aren't compatible. He did some grinding on the rod and reused the stock pedal/bracket assembly. There are a few writeups on here about the swap.

bdiamond is correct, the other switch is the cruise disengage switch, on later models it was built into the brake light switch.

could you post a pic of what it is that is causing the problem? if you kept your original pedal i dont understand why you are having a problem with the switch as it is mounted to end of the rod that connects to the pedal. if the rod is connected the switch should be as well shouldn't it?

I ground the end of the rod down for the 88 brake switch but can't plug the connector in that goes to the tranny interlock without the tail lights staying on.

When i did my 2004 booster/mc from a WJ i just removed the white plastic bushing from the brake peddle and it works great and this was on an 88 XJ by the way hope this helps out.

Back