• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Voltage vs. Heat

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Every morning I start the XJ (94 AW4 HO) the voltage gauge is reading late 13s after 15 mins of traffic the needel drops significantly to early 12s just before the redline. I notice the difference in electricals the horn is much weaker performance is different I notice even more drop with AC on .
I have no amps, no subs just a radio and fog lights which i never use.
I think this is related to heat I tried sealing the battery but still no noticable imprvement. any ideas?

check the volts directly at the battery with a multimeter. I'm guessing you'll find that it is ok, which would mean you have a connection problem between the battery and the accessories on the car.
Dont know why it would show up after 15 mins, unless maybe thats when your electric fan kicks in.

gjxj said:
check the volts directly at the battery with a multimeter. I'm guessing you'll find that it is ok, which would mean you have a connection problem between the battery and the accessories on the car.
Dont know why it would show up after 15 mins, unless maybe thats when your electric fan kicks in.

The electric fan kicks in around 115C but i have a fan override switch .

When you first start up the voltage is supposed to be higher because the battery is being recharged.
After the battery is full it's suppose to fall back to 12v.

Make a test, after the temp is up and voltage is back to 12v, turn the engine off and the head lights on for 5 min, then restart and see if the volts don't go back up to 13+ volts.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it should be around 14 volts. My jeep does the same thing, when it gets warmed up voltage is way lower but not at the battery. Only further down stream. I am thinking it might have something to do with my clutch master dripping brake fluid on my fuse box possibly!!! Everything under the hood looks fine.

when I start it its exactly 14 falls down to 13.6 with high beam, fog lights, AC High, AUX fan but need to test when its hot didnt get a chance yet

If there is a resistive fault in your wiring anywhere, it can increase with heat, so I would suggest that if your voltage is actually dropping at the battery, you check all alternator and battery related connections. If it is not dropping at the battery but is somewhere else, you may have to probe around to see where the drop is occurring.

Back