• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom quick release door hinges?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has any company or home fabber ever thought about making quick release hinges for xj doors? Would it even be possible on xj hinges? Instead of chopping up the stock door hinges you could swap in new beefier hinges that allow for quick on/off release. Would people be interested in something like this or would people rather chop up their hinges and do it themselves? I think 4xInnovations has them on Pirate, where I found them, for $75. I would definitely buy em.

Something like these from 4xInnovations for yotas.

something like that would be perfect beefy hinges +the ability to take doors of quickly, I think a 50$ price point would be better

I'd rather make my own, have them be easier to remove than that, and still have 75 bucks. That looks like a ridiculous price for what it is, if I wanted stronger hinges that were harder to remove they could be made for much cheaper than that.
door4647.jpg

I would be interested.

I punched out the lower hinge pins and installed quick release pins with the spring-loaded ball bearing

Hinge_Pin.jpg

That doesn't work with the upper hinges due to the way that they body curves inward just above the hinge. If somebody could improve on all of that then I think it would be worth $75 for the engineering and fabrication.

Would pins like the ones in the 4x brackets inserted from the bottom work with the body curves? You would still be able to keep them in with the locking ring on the pin and the curve probably wouldnt interfere.

Maybe. There are a lot of factors here. For one thing you need at least one fixed pin to get the doors lined up, since you can't really balance the door and feel the pin through the holes by yourself. If you are talking about fabricating replacement door-side hinges (the body side is welded and not feasible to replace) then maybe some kind of captive spring loaded clip would work for that, dunno.

Maybe. There are a lot of factors here. For one thing you need at least one fixed pin to get the doors lined up, since you can't really balance the door and feel the pin through the holes by yourself.
Yes you can, I do it all the time. I use allen wrenches to hold my doors on, and all of them can come out.

Yes you can, I do it all the time. I use allen wrenches to hold my doors on, and all of them can come out.

Same here. It sure is a pain in the ass to balance an 80lb door while trying to fit a bolt through the hinges, but that's how I do it because I don't have a welder. Mine are held in by 5/16" grade 8 bolts though.

Back