• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep got hit. Unseen damage?

sus scrofa

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question.

Somebody backed into my Jeep and hit it on the driver's side rear. My jeep was parked with the parking brake on. It crushed the bumper cap, which is no huge deal, but what I'm concerned about is the rear end got moved over about 3 inches and the whole thing went about an inch forward.

Could it have seriously bent or damaged anything? I can't see any difference in the body and the doors and hatch all work fine. It seems to drive the same.

I got the guy's insurance info, but at the time I told him it wasn't planning on filing a claim for just the bumper cap, but now I'm wondering if I should. Or am I just worrying too much?

Look underneath and check the frame rails, front and rear leaf spring mounts, u bolts, and centering pins on leafs. Any of those could be the cause for the movement in the rear axle. If you can take a few pics and we'll be able to pinpoint anything that looks like the cause.

Thanks for the replies.

I crawled under and looked at everything and it all looks the same as it did before. I made a couple rough measurements and it didn't show anything out of alignment.

I tried to take some pictures, but couldn't really get any clear ones with no way to jack it up at the moment.

I think I'm just worrying about this too much. I'm stressing out about a lot of things on this Jeep and this just added to it.

Back