• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ruffstuff 3/4 heim, good quality?

redrider2911

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my wore out heim joints on my front 3-link and they are already knocking. I bought them from an ebay store, phelps racing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-4-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
It felt like they already had atleast .005 play in them right out of the box. They are teflon coated and everything. Anyways, I was excited when I found them so cheap I only spent like 100 on the whole set, but then I stumbled across ruffstuff's Midwest Control rod ends. They are about the same pricfe. Are these going to be any tighter tolerances? That knocking gets anoying real fast.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/chromoly-thread-p-325.html

Oh, and side note, who has the cheapest sye right now.

Last edited:
A cheap rod end is a cheap rod end.
If you want a decent rod end, look at Rod End Supply, QA1, Aurora, etc. You'll have to pay almost twice as much, but it'll be a much better rod end.

I've run Ruff Stuff Heims with no issues on a number if different projects with no issues. I'm currently using them as Drag link ends and Tie rod ends on my XJ high steer D30 and very tight and work well. They are priced right and Dan @ Ruff Stuff stands behind his products. :us:

I have heard a few good things about them but you can believe everything you read on the net... So yea I just wanted to see how many people out there use them and love them, if they are quiet on the road then thats a plus.

I have heard a few good things about them but you can believe everything you read on the net... So yea I just wanted to see how many people out there use them and love them, if they are quiet on the road then thats a plus.

No heim is quiet on the road...but not rattling and sloppy is nice. I've had sloppy joint and it sucks. You would be happy with the Ruff Stuff heims.

If you going to use them in an existing set up you should check the over all thickness of your heims and them find out the over all of the Ruff Stuff. (Thickness: the over all including the misalignment spacers). Make sure they will fit between the tabs. You might need to use some different length misalignment spacers.

Yea, i will check but they should all be the same standard width from flat to flat on the ball (im using my own spacers) . I've heard that you can find rod ends with almost zero slop that you can't hardly turn the ball in the race without like a screwdriver for leverage. Are the ruffstuff balls pretty tight in the race right out of the package? I know im asking alot of questions but im just trying to make sure these are what i want before i spend another 100+ dollars...

roughstuff heims are somewhat stiff, sinse you asked... way tighter then the ones your average metal supplier carries... IIRC, the ruffstuff 3/4 heims with rs missallingment spacers measure 1.75 OD,
if you'll looking for quiet, get a saturn or a lexus

lol lexus thanks for the info. Yea im not complaining about the noise at all just that i have to turn the steering wheel a quarter turn till it actually turns. Im gonna go ahead and order them thanks

Back