• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ Shift Problems?

slamd64

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a XJ with 98,XXX miles auto trans, sometimes it feels like it starts out in 2 gear or higher and has no power. Other times it shifts perfectly. Friend told me it might be a in line fuse or resistor to Trans control unit under glove box but took down the lower part of dash and think I found the TCU but couldnt find fuses? Anybody no where the fuses are or any other suggestions on this type of trans problem? Thanks K

This is the Second time I Posted this. The other time is on the Modified Forum. Good Luck. You could try a "Search" for "AW4 shift" for example. Do not use the parenthesize.

Try disabling the TCU and shift it manually and see if that changes anything.

If there there are no Problems... It may be the TCU or another Electrical Problem and if it does the same thing as before it's probably the Tranny and may need a Rebuild.

Drop the panel below the Glove Box and locate the TCU (Transmission Control Unit). In the Harness near the TCU Unit you will find a 15-amp in-line Fuse on a yellow Wire with a Resistor Pack just a little farther down on the same Wire.

This Wire provides Battery Feed to the TCU via the Ignition Switch. If the Fuse is blown, the TCU cannot operate the Transmission. You can disable the TCU the same way by removing the Fuse.

Hope this Helps.

Last edited:
Back