• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Powermaster starter & starting issue

KY-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had a previous post where I had a starting problem. Well, I think I have it narrowed down to my starter solenoid. I would have is tested, but I do not have the time to do so until Sunday. Now, I have been able to drive it everyday by pulling the starter relay everytime I shut it off. Then I put it back before I start it up and it fires right up.

I did leave the relay in at work and it fired right up at lunch, but I wouldn't start at all when I left (approx. 4.5 hrs. later). I did finally get it started, by whacking the solenoid/starter with a rubber mallet , pulling the relay and letting the starter cool down between several start attempts. Most of the time it didn't do anything when I turned the key. When it did finally start I heard a repeated clicking sound and then it started.

With the above information, does the symptoms seem like the starter? If it is I have (3) options......
  1. Reman Starter for 169.99
  2. New for 227.99
  3. Powermaster Starter (new) 215.95
Anyone have any experience with the Powermaster starter? I believe in that when a part breaks is to upgrade if and when possible and I prefer to buy new when possible. The Powermaster is cheaper than the new one from Autozone and I think it would be a worthwhile upgrade. Or would this starter be too overkill for a stock 4.0?

Thanks for reading this long post. I appreciate any and all replies.

I'd like to know a good replacement starter. Mine works great until I go to Moab. Then it startes acting up. It may not work much longer if I have to keep whacking it.

I don't think I need a supe duper heavy duty spin $$$$ starter. A stock equivalent should work. But any upgrade and the same or lower price is a good thing.

For what a starter actually does for you, the cheaper the better,( I usually don't beleive in this but a few items its true) get a reman with a warrenty. good luck

Update....

I happened to run into some free time on Fri. evening. I took the starter off and had it tested, tested fine. I just had the alt. and batt. (new batt.) checked and they were fine, so I knew it wasn't that. With those three things out of the equation, I was stumped until the guy suggested the ignition switch. Well, apparantly that was it. I was just getting the luck of the draw when it did start with the old one. I'll gladly spend 32 bucks instead of 170.

Back