• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 acting funny

flyingbrick

NAXJA Forum User
when coasting at almost any speed in drive, the trans seems to go in and out of neutral rapidly, like if you were going 35, its as if the trans was engaged, then drop 250rpm's then re-engage to the same rpm before the drop, then back down...
any suggestions? or just change the fluid and filter, probably hasn't ever happened

Start with the fluid and filter.

There's also a document with some troubleshooting steps you can take. I think it's called "Shift Pointers".

Try disabling the TCU and shift it manually and see if that changes anything.

If there there are no Problems... It may be the TCU or another Electrical Problem and if it does the same thing as before it's probably the Tranny and may need a Rebuild.

Drop the panel below the Glove Box and locate the TCU (Transmission Control Unit). In the Harness near the TCU Unit you will find a 15-amp in-line Fuse on a yellow Wire with a Resistor Pack just a little farther down on the same Wire.

This Wire provides Battery Feed to the TCU via the Ignition Switch. If the Fuse is blown, the TCU cannot operate the Transmission. You can disable the TCU the same way by removing the Fuse.

Hope this Helps.

I had something similar happen a couple years ago. Going down the highway and suddenly trans feels like it went into neutral, then back into gear, then back to neutral, etc. checked the fluid and it didn't register on the stick, but there was no sign of leaking out. very odd, so I topped up anyway and went on my way but it shortly started doing it again. very bizarre. I was on the way home for a road trip so just drover her gingerly and nursed her home, eventually it stopped doing it, but while going up a steep hill the fluid came out the filler line and all over the exhaust - very smoky! When I got home, checked the level again and it was waaaaay over full. I suspect that what happened is somehow the fluid got stuck in the torque converter, and the new fluid eventually cleared out the lines and it started flowing again. I drained it, replaced the filter screen (which was very clean) and haven't had any problem since then.

Back