• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oversized oil filter for 89 XJ

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
search around on this site and others and cannt seem to find '89 specific' oversized oil filters....

what i have sound if for newer cherokees are the napa gold 1773 and mobil-1 301.

any help would be appriciated.

-PJ-

Just change out the center piece that the filter screws to.. You can pick one up at most savage yards. The center piece will thread out of the filter base.

I'am running a 2qt. wix # 51773 on mine.

Nick

Just change out the center piece that the filter screws to.. You can pick one up at most savage yards. The center piece will thread out of the filter base.

I'am running a 2qt. wix # 51773 on mine.

Nick

its called a filter neck, you want one with standard threads, not metric i run ford motorcraft fl-1a's from a ford 5.0

If you can change out the mount to one from 91+ 4.0, you will have more options. I use a filter for a Ford 5.0 on my 93 engine(I always look up 1985 Mustang). I usually get Napa Gold 1515. Incidentally, the Wix website does not list a oil filter for that engine, which is odd since that filter is probably the most common size oil filter ever(and I've heard that the Napa filter IS a Wix filter). so I'll have to try that 51773. The threads on the 4.0 HO filter are 3/4-16

Wix is nice, but all that matters is that your filter is not orange....

basically, you want a H.O filter neck, but not so new that they point backward at the starter, which will make oil filter changes 'interesting'

so for a renix you can just change the threaded part out for a ford 5.0 one and use the stock renix filter adapter on the block?

no ford parts involved, the oil filter is listed FOR A FORD. the 'threaded part' is out of a 91+ jeep xj. you can do the threaded nipple thing, but i swaped the hole neck, of course replace your o-rings now.

You don't have to replace the whole filter base.. Just the center piece the filter threads on. I don't think it's called a filter neck... More like a nipple.

You need a deep well socket.. I think it's 7/8. It will screw out of the base.

As stated earlier the 89's are metric threads on the filter side. The later models are standard threads..

Nick

If you can change out the mount to one from 91+ 4.0, you will have more options. I use a filter for a Ford 5.0 on my 93 engine(I always look up 1985 Mustang). I usually get Napa Gold 1515. Incidentally, the Wix website does not list a oil filter for that engine, which is odd since that filter is probably the most common size oil filter ever(and I've heard that the Napa filter IS a Wix filter). so I'll have to try that 51773. The threads on the 4.0 HO filter are 3/4-16

Wix is nice, but all that matters is that your filter is not orange....

Wix 51515 is the same as a NAPA 1515. To make any NAPA Gold number into a Wix, add a 5 for oil/hydraulic, 3 for fuel, 4 for air in front of it.

Wix builds both the NAPA Gold and the Carquest premium line. Go to www.wixfilters.com and play with the cross reference area. You can type in the Wix number or any competitors number and it will cross it and link it to a spec sheet. It will tell you all about the various numbers such as thread size, can size, flow rate, if it has a bypass valve, etc. Really a nice place with a lot of detail about the product.

Jeep sold me the connector P/N 53007563, which changes the metric filter to fit the Ford filter or Mopars 090, which is the short version.

You can also rotate the adapter housing to the horizontal position by loosening the mounting bolt; the filter will the point to the rear. Having done that, I find I have to jack up the front under the frame to make enough room to fish out the filter to the front because the charcoal canister on my 90 is in the frickin way . . .

I did this 5 years ago, it's nice to find standard filters on the shelf.

has anyone figured out a way to NOT spill oil all over the upper arm while doing oil changes?

dude... its routine lubrication. it also prevents rust when you drive it and it sprays off of the UCA and all over everything aft of it. :eyes:

has anyone figured out a way to NOT spill oil all over the upper arm while doing oil changes?

Remote mount it... vertical... mine sits above the pass. motor mount.
I make a cup/catch basin out of foil slip it under the filter then I unscrew it. Still a little messy, but NOOOO where near as much of a mess. 90% of the time none on the ground... sometimes a little if I don't close the foil right.

Curt

Back