• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 column help

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 88 cherekee 4.0 6cyl
after my car was stolen they mess up my ignition so bad i couldnt even use my key to start the car!
I had to get a column, got 1 from a junk yard for 90 cash its a 89 cherekee
looks just like mine just different color
he didnt have the key so I was planning to switch the cylinders between my 88 and the 89 but i decided to buy one new and do all the work on the column B4 i put it in.
I took everything apart as i was suppose to with the right tools too.
then i took out the lock. I put the new one in and before i screwed it in i wanted to make sure everything was well and it wasnt
the key wont come out of the cylinder I can see its, because the cylinder when in the off position, is supposed to line up with the (lock) mark on the cylinder housing right?
well it doesnt in fact the cylinder only goes all the way to the off position when its off the metal piece it engages on (in the cylinder housing)
why would this happen both the new cylinder and the one i brought are the same and actually does the same thing whats wrong i put the oringinal back in and tried my old keys and it worked for the cylinder but same problem it will turn it on but wont go all the way off like its suppose to.
(at the bottom of a cylinder there a little metal square that sliders from point to point one point is the on position(cranking the car) and the other is the off position and the key can be removed) but when the cylinder is in the housing and engaged on the metal piece inside
-the cylinder only goes to one point fully and thats the on position
when i turn it off and try to take the key out it wont bugde so i slid the cylinder out slowly and looked at the bottom and the metal square wasnt all the way to the off position it stop short. the metal thing it engages on doesnt allow it to turn any more off but it need to so the key can come out!
I hope this makes sense to someone
i really need the help
i live in the city this is the only bit of money i threw into this column
right now my cars down stairs waiting for a thief with a scew driver to steal it. please help.

progress.gif

Last edited:
Back