• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion seal torque?

goalieman24

NAXJA Forum User
So I've read about 1,000 different posts on proper torquing for the pinion nut for the D30.

With my '99, high pinion.. it should just be torqued back to spec correct? Don't have to worry about the crush sleeve in a LP right?

I've seen torque specs at 160 ft/lbs... and then also 200-220 ft/lbs seems to be a common answer as well.

Just looking for some clarification

Check preload on your bearing before you tear it apart, since that's the real target you're after. The torque spec is to get you in the general area of the bearing preload, but it's really the bearing preload that you're setting (especially if you're putting the used bearing back in.)

Preload too light, and your bearing will have freeplay and eat itself.
Preload too heavy, and your bearing will "self-clearance" and eat itself.

Hallo. Mark the rear yoke and the pinion nut and the pinion axle!
Count the amount of threads on the pinion axle with still the nut attached.
Install the pinion nut exactly where it was before.
Mayby a little bit more. That's the way I do it.
A Dana 30 don't have a sleeve.
A Dana 35, I wrench it ,with 210 ft/pounds, because the sleeve is wrenched with at least 300.
One problem is my torque wrench, because it is too short. haha
And the space under the Jeep , with the wheels on the ground. :shhh:

'92 XJ

210 ft lb. on the torque

I'am assuming you're changing a seal?? If so, you dont have to worry about the pre load. Unless you have excessive play at the pinion yoke.

In order to check the preload the ring and pinion needs to be removed.

Good Luck

Nick

Back