• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 ECU/ECM not communicating

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
Not sure I have the correct letters for the part in question... the computer ??

So I have a 1996 that starts, runs & drives fine, but won't communicate through the OBDII port.
I have two readers one very old that just flashes a trouble code and a Blue Driver blue tooth reader... the older unit seems to communicate and read codes, but the newer unit won't communicate with the ECU/ECM.
I took it to a shop and their reader wouldn't communicate with the computer either. He believes it's the computer, but isn't 100% certain. They did a bunch of testing and every thing seems to be OK at the OBDII port... They didn't have a spare computer to swap out to test with though.

Is there a reliable place to get a reprogrammed computer for a Ca. vehicle that needs to be smoged every other year ?

I took it to a shop and their reader wouldn't communicate with the computer either.

They did a bunch of testing and every thing seems to be OK at the OBDII port... They didn't have a spare computer to swap out to test with though.
Those are contradictory statements!
It sounds more like a wiring issue.
If you should find the you need a PCM, I've had great results from FS1.

1996 was the first year of OBD-II and some modern trouble code readers may have difficulties connecting. Try another brand of Trouble Code reader.

If it runs, the PCM is probably fine. Will it display trouble codes on the Check Engine Light?

Without starting the engine Turn the ignition switch ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON and observe the Check Engine Light. The Check Engine Light should begin to flash a series of codes. The flashes will be separated by short and long pauses.

Back