• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ steering box question

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I just bought my wife a 1998 Grand Cherokee to drive and it has one of the bolts broken off in the lower steering box mount. I looked and found the box is the same as a Cherokee (at least a 2001 model) so I decided to remove one from a parts rig. I broke the same bolt in the 2001 Cherokee box.

It looks like the aluminum spacer welded itself around the lower bolt causing it to snap. We are going to try and salvage the 01 box but I want to replace the aluminum spacer with something better so I never have to worry about this problem again.

I have a JCR bracket on my 1988 Cherokee and have been happy with it. I went looking for one listed for a ZJ. I can't seem to find one. Either I'm using the wrong terminology or something. JCR's site says XJ but not ZJ.

Can I use an XJ steering box spacer in a ZJ? I don't see why not considering they are the same box and share the same 3 bolt pattern.

Thoughts? Or is there something better you guys recommend?

I never saw a spacer in any of my ZJ's- and I did steering boxes in a couple of them. If it's identical to an XJ spacer, then it's not stock.

I finally found a thread and apparently while the XJ and ZJ use the same box, the ZJ unibody is made to not require the spacer like the XJ.

Thanks for the info squashman!

the ZJ does not use a spacer..

they also have a much stronger unibody and its not as common to see frame cracking..

They do still require a steering box brace with larger tires..

Back