• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You guys might like this....

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
So long story short, 2015-2016 I was in a community oriented Chamber of Commerce group called "Leadership Arvada" many towns do similar programs and I would highly recommend it if you're a dork like me and you like learning more about how city's work.

The class was 9 months, we met once per month and learned more about how the city functions, we toured water facilities, jails, non-profits, etc. We had team building and leadership exercises. The main "project" for the class was to, as a group, decide on a community enhancing project. Some of the prior examples were; one class renovated the Arvada High School gym, another class made a "party trailer" to be used for block party's (that same class also redid a community garden).

Our class was SUPER ambitious. After much deliberation, we decided to build the "Cookout Kitchen for Charity", it was an idea that came out of brainstorming with one of our group members and the Kiwanis group he was in. Myself (and others) spend A LOT of time designing and building this trailer basically from the ground up. Part of the reason it took longer than it could have was, if any of you have worked in a group of 23 mostly type A personalities.....:laugh:

Now to the pics! This is what we started with (it was a totally random trailer we had at the place I work, we had no use and needed to get rid of it):

Start%201_zps2zhowsst.jpg

Start_zps1jzqxll0.jpg

As for the "hard fab" aka welding the frame, we had Apache Steel in Wheat Ridge do that work for us, I didn't trust my skills for a project of this scope. :haha:

Fab_zpsqqlfzoox.jpg

This is a good picture, the frame was powder coated by Powder Coating Specialties in Golden (GREAT dudes over there if you need anything powder coated...) You can kind of see in this picture, the awning is mounted to the two jacks that are on either end, these jacks were originally designed for a fifth wheel camper, they raise/lower ~16"s, it is VERY slow (it's for a fifth wheel lol), we are recommending they buy a battery drill to raise/lower the awning.

Powder%20Coat%201_zpszeyrbcjh.jpg

Here's a great shot before the awning was installed. It shows the two 48" commercial grills and the propane setup.

Almost%20Done_zpsyvfsqiwh.jpg

Here's a the final product:

Finished_zpsvrq0laqu.jpg

Finished%201_zpsoadehnsr.jpg

We are EXTREMELY proud of this project. It is managed by the Arvada Jefferson Kiwanis and it is going to be used for them and other Jeffco charities to raise money by either grilling or pancake breakfasts (there are some large griddles with it as well).

And I'll even come out of retirement and teach you all how to use it.

Back