• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ's of the Middle East

BlurpleXJ

Blue. Purple. Blurple.
NAXJA Member
Well, a few countries in it anyhow.

The Army sent me over here, and man was I surprised to find so many XJ's roaming a few of these countries. I spent the most time in Kuwait and a recent trip to Oman, so here's a few I've managed to get a picture of.

KUWAIT

Spotted this one on arrival at the airport.
picture.php

Kuwait City.
picture.php

Roaming Kuwait City.
picture.php

Military XJ. I got damn close to getting the Kuwaitis to let me drive the 5-speed one.
picture.php

Middle of the desert. Probably burned down by some teens.
picture.php

Northern part of Kuwait.
picture.php

An island off Kuwait. Look close - police XJ's!
picture.php

Found this one on the island too.
picture.php

The Kuwaitis used to use XJs for bird hunting, apparently. They'd chop a hole in the roof and put a raised seat in the back, then tear off across the desert with a man in back with a shotgun. Probably great fun. Saw pics of XJ's like this but none in person.

JORDAN

With a V8 badge, no less. Still sounded like a six.
picture.php

OMAN

Went roaming here with a KLR. Couldn't resist a pic with this one.
picture.php

If you doubted I'm in the middle east, here's a huge mosque.
picture.php

At the bottom of a canyon, where XJ's were absolutely everywhere.
picture.php

Look close. More XJ.
picture.php

Tiny village northwest of Nizwa.
picture.php

And one more in Muscat for good measure.
picture.php

Americans aren't the only ones that love 'em.

Interesting set of pictures. Years ago before I owned an XJ I saw plenty of them in South America mostly diesels or 4 cylinder gas engines.

Most of them in your pictures seem to be left hand drive. Many also seem to be designed for European use :dunno: with that little marker light in the middle of the front fender above the flair.

Nice pictures. I know a few USN XJ's were crawling around Guam, but that was ten years ago.

Back