• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Front Air Bump Mounts

Ironmanandy

NAXJA Forum User
Here's a head turner. We are working on a front mount that will allow you to adjust your ride height, air bump, and help retain your coil spring in one sleek package.

Here's what we have so far. Fully threaded inside and out. Uses rubber isolators to sandwich the coil a the top.

We made a nifty spanner wrench to help tighten it all down.

Still working out the mounting for the top inside the engine bay. Basically there will be a bracket to grab the track bar bolts and whatever else we come up with and a bracket for inside the engine bay. Ring of bolts to sandwich the mount to the top. Its going to be a bolt on design, but welding it all in would be the best option for something like this.

What you see now can change, so don't think that this and what I have said is the final draft.

Price wise its not going to be cheap. King bumps alone will make up a lot of the cost. Needless to say the mount system alone will be available.

Sometimes that "Go fast bug" just never leaves you..

That looks pretty sweet.

I think I am going to be glad I haven't sprung for an ACOS system.

With regard to grabbing the track bar bolts, will you be able to offer a means of compensating for those who are running some sort of steering sector shaft brace?

That looks pretty sweet.

I think I am going to be glad I haven't sprung for an ACOS system.

With regard to grabbing the track bar bolts, will you be able to offer a means of compensating for those who are running some sort of steering sector shaft brace?

The system will work just fine with our steering box brace that we make, as well as our track bar system.

No need to make products that work against each other ;)

Any idea as to its compatibility with products made by others?

For my situation, the Boostwerks Comp Mount would be the specific question, but I am sure there will be others to consider too.

Any idea as to its compatibility with products made by others?

For my situation, the Boostwerks Comp Mount would be the specific question, but I am sure there will be others to consider too.

I dont anticipate there being any issue. Everything will be in and around the coil spring. It shouldn't get close enough to be near anyone's steering brace designs.

:cool:

I look forward to more pics as you develop this.

Here's an idea of what the top is going to look like inside the engine bay. This bracket is for the WJ version, but its the same concept. More holes will be had so one can bolt in in only...however fully welding it in is important IMO. the bracket will be a little bigger and grab a lot more surface area. The last thing you want to is bend your bump stops from a jump or slam down on something.

To whom it may concern here is the full WJ setup. Don't have it installed yet but soon... The XJ version wont need that top bracket retainer that you see the anvil cut out on and the rubber isolators are a different size. The bottom bracket the coil is on is a different product entirely.

that is very cool

What are you thinking for initial ball park pricing with and without cans?

Around 500 without bumps and 1000 with them I would estimate, but the whole system is meant to run the threaded king bumps. So if you plan on running Fox or something else you can't necessarily with this setup. I wouldn't be surprised if we design a variant that's a DIY so you can put your own bump in can.

Any progress on this setup? Particularly for the XJs?

Any progress on this setup? Particularly for the XJs?

Too much involved for this to be a production item. Internal and external threading is very finicky and hard to get right. King doesn't thread their air bumps to full depth, so we have to go through and thread them ourselves on top of threading the mounts. We did it on our XJ and its finished, but the bracing braketry we didn't design. We just braced the mount ourselves with plate.

If we ever did do something like this again, or if someone were to call specifically wanting an air bump mount for the front of their XJ. We would most likely do a DOM sleeve with a pinch clamp and a ring that you weld in place of your stock bump stop. Bracing it all would be up to you.

This was a pretty cool project to entertain.

Well...bummer.

Thank you for the follow-up.

At $500 for a coil retainer and $1000 with bumps one is getting close to a set of ori struts especially if only doing 12 inch travels instead of 18s . Just seems a rather expensive route to install an air bump and still have a stock coil spring.

At $500 for a coil retainer and $1000 with bumps one is getting close to a set of ori struts especially if only doing 12 inch travels instead of 18s . Just seems a rather expensive route to install an air bump and still have a stock coil spring.

But some of us do high speed desert stuff, which is where air shocks really really suck, and that's where you'd want air bumps. So you're bringing oranges to an apple party.

But some of us do high speed desert stuff, which is where air shocks really really suck, and that's where you'd want air bumps. So you're bringing oranges to an apple party.

A set of cheap entry level bilstein shocks are going to fade before an stx strut especially with the added reservoirs. So you're going to need to dig deeper than $100 a shock , so at that point a set of 10-12 coilovers and air bumps mounted with traditional hoops . You mention desert go fast , well traditionally the stock sheet metal coil tower doesn't hold up well to go desert go fast even with some plating specially when using it as the bump stop tower .

Like I said the base cost of the mount plus the hard parts puts you better off spending the cash on traditionally mounted coilover type suspension ... not being a dick I'm just seeing that by the time you get good coils , really good shocks ( not entry level 5150 bilstein ) more like $300 per shock and the air bumps you would be ahead with coil overs... and again an stx strut still outperforms cheap shocks like 5150s in go fast .

A set of cheap entry level bilstein shocks are going to fade before an stx strut especially with the added reservoirs. So you're going to need to dig deeper than $100 a shock , so at that point a set of 10-12 coilovers and air bumps mounted with traditional hoops . You mention desert go fast , well traditionally the stock sheet metal coil tower doesn't hold up well to go desert go fast even with some plating specially when using it as the bump stop tower .

Like I said the base cost of the mount plus the hard parts puts you better off spending the cash on traditionally mounted coilover type suspension ... not being a dick I'm just seeing that by the time you get good coils , really good shocks ( not entry level 5150 bilstein ) more like $300 per shock and the air bumps you would be ahead with coil overs... and again an stx strut still outperforms cheap shocks like 5150s in go fast .

Again, with the oranges to an apple party. If someone is doing go fast, do you think they are really running 5150 shocks? Or are you saying that a $4k set of STK "struts" with reservoirs only perform marginally better than 5150s in the desert? If you're going through the work to install air bumps, you're already going to have a decent set of bilstiens, kings of fox shocks.

Also per class rules lots of 4600 class KOH guys are running the stock sheet metal shock towers with just bracing and not having any issues.

Again, with the oranges to an apple party. If someone is doing go fast, do you think they are really running 5150 shocks? Or are you saying that a $4k set of STK "struts" with reservoirs only perform marginally better than 5150s in the desert? If you're going through the work to install air bumps, you're already going to have a decent set of bilstiens, kings of fox shocks.

Also per class rules lots of 4600 class KOH guys are running the stock sheet metal shock towers with just bracing and not having any issues.

I recall many threads on just naxja stating that despite massive reinforcement of the tower it still showed signs of deforming when used as the bump location. No I don't think a set of 5150s and one size fits all coils remotely touches an ori stx strut . But I think one is money ahead mounting a coilover since one can easily and cheaply mount a hoop right off their frame stiffeners and a simple cross brace ...lol... I mean the tube would cost $30 and take 5 minutes to put a bend in and mount off frame stiffeners, so that leaves enough cash to buy coilovers and air bumps are about $400 and mount pretty easily off the rail with a striker pad on a truss .

Back