• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: Looking for a 231 or 241 case

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I'm looking for donor gears out of a transfer case. The 6 planetary ones. Need a few other things form the same case. 23 spline input too. If you have one laying around with a cracked case or a hole in it let me know.

Talked to him he is not sure what he is doing with it. I found one on Offroad SC in Greenwood of all places for cheap. I hope I can get him to meet me on 26.

I'm not sure. 231j....23 spline input...27 spline output. 2 to choose from. York sc
9e7a470eeba2243f2f37e99b42b9801c.jpg
c2eb3bec89ed1d8d90f1e4a2a1adf658.jpg

I'm really looking for one out of a 99 and up. Can you shot me a picture of the tag on the second one?

Top one in the pic is the older style (pre 95?), and the bottom one is a newer style (atleast 96+)

I can't remember the exact year of the change off hand. Tail cone and how they seal is different.

Make sure you know what you're getting. Around the '94 & '95 year models New Process changed the input and planetary gear pitch. Slightly different from old to new, barely noticeable to the untrained eye and they won't mesh with one another. I ran into the same issue with our swap. I had to use the front of our 249 case with the rear of the 242 case because with the different gear pitch, I couldn't simply swap out the input shafts and call it day. I know you're wanting this for a crawl box, so this may or may not be of any concern to you. Here's a pic showing the difference.

This is true for the NP242 & NP249 cases, and may or may not also be true for the NP231. Just food for thought.

Copied from another site that I researched when doing the 249/242 hybrid t-case in Wendy's ZJ:

Rule of thumb is cases with a build date of pre 94.5 will have the old style gear cut, and cases with a build date of post 94.5 will have the new style gear cut.

Yea should not be an issue IF I can find one form a 99 and up. They are supposed to have the 6 planetary sets in them.

Make sure you know what you're getting. Around the '94 & '95 year models New Process changed the input and planetary gear pitch. Slightly different from old to new, barely noticeable to the untrained eye and they won't mesh with one another. I ran into the same issue with our swap. I had to use the front of our 249 case with the rear of the 242 case because with the different gear pitch, I couldn't simply swap out the input shafts and call it day. I know you're wanting this for a crawl box, so this may or may not be of any concern to you. Here's a pic showing the difference.

This is true for the NP242 & NP249 cases, and may or may not also be true for the NP231. Just food for thought.

Copied from another site that I researched when doing the 249/242 hybrid t-case in Wendy's ZJ:

Rule of thumb is cases with a build date of pre 94.5 will have the old style gear cut, and cases with a build date of post 94.5 will have the new style gear cut.

I thought the inputs had changed on them as well, but I wasn't sure. Good to know!

Back