• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB-- 2000 AC compressor / coil / clutch

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
Turns out my AC coil doesn't generate enough magnetic field to pull in the AC clutch -- I would really like to just swap out the coil and clutch assembly without breaking into the refrigerant

I have a Sanden U4784 compressor -- looking for coil,clutch assembly or entire compressor -- Located in NJ - zip is 08846

The one on my '98 ZJ did the same thing - it wouldn't pull in, but if I had it turned on I could open the hood and knock on the front of the clutch to help it go, and then it would work.

In taking apart the one from my parts jeep to do the same fix you're talking about, it turns out there's a little shim underneath the bolt that holds it all together. The one from my parts jeep had a thinner shim, and that difference was enough to make it work again - the only part I ended up swapping was that shim.

With that in mind it might be worth just pulling the front clutch plate off of the coil (on mine you can do that without removing the belt) and seeing if yours has the same thing. Basically what happens is the clutch gets worn to the point where the air gap exceeds the pull from the magnet. Might be able to just shave the shim down a little bit and see if that fixes it (it's screwed anyway).

I had read about that shim -- problem is I don't think the coil produces enough magnetic pull

If I stick a screwdriver to the backside of the coil when it's energized it barely sticks -- yes there is some magnetic pull but not enough in my mind to really do anything

Maybe my screwdriver test is flawed, maybe I'm not supposed to get much magnetism at the backside of the coil -- guess I'll try and power up that coil without the engine running and see how much magnetism is at the clutch side -- I'm not expecting much

The backside of the coil isn't gonna have much field on it, both poles will be at the front pulling on the clutch if it was well designed. I'm actually kinda surprised the screwdriver sticks at all.

I'd give pulling the shim out a shot... it worked on my 98 years ago. AC turned out to have a hole in it that leaked all the refrigerant out overnight after I recharged it, but pulling the shim got the compressor kicking in again.

I ended up pulling off the clutch, cleaning up both friction surfaces with a wire wheel, and removing the only shim on there -- got the thing working for now

It was around 90 today -- had 43 degree air coming out the vents

Back