• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ for towing XJ?

philagony94xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've been doing some research on the WJs. I want one so I can DD it and take comfortable long distance trips to the Rockies for some scenic trail riding. I see that the Overlands have a little more powerful motors and the tow rating is at 6k. It also has a tow package with coolers for steering and tranny.

My question is does anyone see a problem with using one to tow an XJ on a dolly or light aluminum trailer?

If I got those stabalizers for the front of the hitch or a load distributing hitch, it might make things a little safer. I also heard that the rear swaybar is punny, so maybe a larger one would help stiffen up the rear for towing.

I wouldn't do it but if I did heres how I'd do it,

Rear sway bar
Aluminum trailer
and load distributing hitch

I also wouldnt keep any of my equipment in the jeep being towed. Last thing you need is more weight pushing around the tow rig.

It can be done, I wouldnt though.

I've got an 01 xj and my dad has a 2004 wj.

I got a tow bar for mine hoping that we could maybe one day tow my jeep, but it's just not reasonable.

The wj has 3 inches of lift and 32's, and it weighs probably 4300 pounds. The xj is lifted more, and weighs 4000, but it's just not safe. It would pull it no problem, it's slowing down that would suck. Tow bars are dangerous as hell anyway.

I've got an 01 xj and my dad has a 2004 wj.

I got a tow bar for mine hoping that we could maybe one day tow my jeep, but it's just not reasonable.

The wj has 3 inches of lift and 32's, and it weighs probably 4300 pounds. The xj is lifted more, and weighs 4000, but it's just not safe. It would pull it no problem, it's slowing down that would suck. Tow bars are dangerous as hell anyway.

He hit the nail on the head. Pulling it is not a problem, you ca pull it with a Honda....but comming to a safe stop will be scary, or add some water,snow or wind to the mix and you got a recipe for disaster.

Way back when I used to have a 01 WJ limited with the V8/quadra drive/etc. I was gunna try to tow my 99 XJ on 35's with it. I had to drive about 40-50 miles to uhual to rent on of their car trailers. Just in that return drive home with an EMPTY trailer made me not even wanna try towing my jeep. I borrowed my dads gasser 1ton for the day instead.

I have towed a very large aluiminum fishing boat and a couple cars on tow dollies with my wj with the 4.0. The brakes wont like the weight period. There not up to the task of stpping loads as heavy as a cherokee on a trailer. Plus the WJ you would need for the task isnt exactly in the cheap price range yet let alone a aluminum trailer.

friend of mine used to do it with the 4.8.

he said it was fine.

towing a 1 ton comanche. he tied the front bumper down and rear axle down (as opposed to both axles) said that helped keep it under control.

went 5+ hours at a time like this.

before this he towed it with a chevy caprice, now that was goofy looking, but again, he drove it 5+ hours pretty regularly.

What you guys are saying is what I've been thinking. Getting up to speed wont be an issue, but stopping on the other hand.........

If I rented an aluminum trailer with electric brakes, that might make it easier to stop/control.

I would only be towing about 75 miles each way to the Badlands.

What about a dolly to put the front wheels on? I know it would be using only the WJs brakes, but its about 1k less weight behind it.

It's been done. I'm spacing the name, but a gentleman from the Detroit area towed his very nice XJ(with a V8, XJ and WJ, I'm thinking) on a car trailer out here and over a pass or too. He thought it was fine.

It's been done. I'm spacing the name, but a gentleman from the Detroit area towed his very nice XJ(with a V8, XJ and WJ, I'm thinking) on a car trailer out here and over a pass or too. He thought it was fine.

Well that's quite a drive! I wouldn't attempt a trip that far towing the XJ. I don't doubt that the guy you know actually did it, I myself wouldn't try it. At the longest, I would go about 300 round trip.

When I get this truck I will report back on how far I actually tow the XJ or if I even attempt it.

John Bjorm and Scotty Mac both towed their Xjs with WJs. I dont know the exact specifics but I do know that John Bjorm has towed his all over the country, including Moab from Michigan. I think that is who Fred is talking about.

Weight distribution, anti sway, trailer brakes, play it smart and it's doable.

mac 'a WJ would be so much cheaper to own' gyvr

If properly setup it would tow just fine. I have a 99 XJ and use to tow a 23 foot travel trailer no problem.(#4800 ready to camp) I even towed my YJ on a trailer with no problem.(#5300 I was over my max tow weight a little) Like posted above load hitch,sway control,trailer brakes or dolly with brakes. Stoping is no problem because the trailers brakes are designed to stop it's self and the load on it.

Dave

friend of mine used to do it with the 4.8.

he said it was fine.

towing a 1 ton comanche. he tied the front bumper down and rear axle down (as opposed to both axles) said that helped keep it under control.

went 5+ hours at a time like this.

before this he towed it with a chevy caprice, now that was goofy looking, but again, he drove it 5+ hours pretty regularly.

Was just gunna say this I know he got 6mpg though...

Back