• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Witnessed something scary today at the local gear shop

Unfortunately my choice of gear shops here in central Ohio were extremely limited to say the least....it was either Babbitt bearing or some race car shop I never heard of so I went with Babbitt that has been around since 1973 and came recommended by more than a few people I spoke to while looking for a place to do my gears.....
It gets worse....the pattern on my d-30 looks horrible(pinion looks really deep)and there is all kinds of crap inside of the axle tubes/diff from where it sat in his shop and collected debris from other jobs.

I hope this saves somebody trouble in the future if they are thinking about Babbitt bearing here in Columbus.....keep shopping

I am not trying to knock the OP but why not say something at the time while in the shop? I mean if you think grabbing an impact gun is a bad idea, why not call them out on it right then and there before he uses the impact gun? Then you could have decided to leave the shop, ask for it to be done right or at least have his reasoning of why he used it to post here. I know it can be one of those things you don't think about or can't react fast enough but the way you seemed shocked about seeing the impact, I would have just stepped up and said something.

Trust me the entire time he was hammering on it with the gun I was gritting my teeth....I thought to myself this don't seem cool but let him do his thing because he's been doing it for 30 years and I'm no expert

....I thought to myself this don't seem cool but let him do his thing because he's been doing it for 30 years and I'm no expert

At least you were with good company because HE IS NO EXPERT EITHER !

Haha...yea.

As it stands I have no choice but to get the axles bolted in and run them if they self destruct I will be doing them myself...I don't trust anyone else to touch my jeep.

Sure you do... redo the gears yourself before blowing them up.

Just thought I would give an update and a warning to anyone in cbus ohio looking to get gears done.
STAY AWAY FROM BABBIT BEARING on frank rd.

Ive been living with gear whine(in 4wd) from my front 30 since I put
The axle under there a few yrs ago.
Saving money for a press and gear tools to do it myself.

You have been warned.

Back