• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wide Open Baja

Killer trip Alex! Much better than planting vinyl fence in my backyard. Have to say, as much fun as the Petty Driving Experience was, that Baja trip looks like more fun.

Incredible stuff...as always Alex. Looks like you all had fun.

Hi Alex!!!

Thanks so much for posting that. I have always wanted to do something like that. I am going to check into prices and post back to the thread. If I work really, really hard this year I might reward myself in January.

SeanP

We're going to do a trip to Baja, just have to figure out when. (a possible for next year BOTW is some new trails in UT, or a trip to Baja) I was going to go with a group a few months ago, but the leader got hurt and the trip had to be postponed. The plan was to drive our rigs (no tow rigs or RV's) and do dirt roads all over Baja for a week with no set agenda. Nights would be a motel or cabana on the beach in whatever town we ended up in. Sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to doing a trip like that. If we do BOTW, we'd likely stay in an RV park on the beach and do day trips into the desert, both exploring and rockcrawling.

Of course, I'd love to do what Alex did and drive the crap out of someone else's set up rig and have them fix it and feed me. :)

SeanP said:
Hi Alex!!!

Thanks so much for posting that. I have always wanted to do something like that. I am going to check into prices and post back to the thread. If I work really, really hard this year I might reward myself in January.

SeanP

We need to find out how much a trip like that is. Looks like it could be done on an extended weekend. Would be a real fun thing for a group of us to do together.

I gotta think it's about $2K+ not including airfare. I wonder if they charge for broken parts

I think that driving my rig down to baja would be a 10-14 day trip at min.

SeanP

FarmerMatt said:
YOU should probably figure more like a full month... :looser:

no joke. That's why I am REALLY interested in beating on someone elses rig for a few days. Plus my rock crawler isn't quite set up for high speed baja yet. Needs some sway bars, bumps and a bit lower COG.

SeanP

Goatman said:
The plan was to drive our rigs (no tow rigs or RV's) and do dirt roads all over Baja for a week with no set agenda. Nights would be a motel or cabana on the beach in whatever town we ended up in.

That actually sounds like a lot more fun than this...
If we do BOTW, we'd likely stay in an RV park on the beach and do day trips into the desert, both exploring and rockcrawling.

SeanP said:
I gotta think it's about $2K+ not including airfare. I wonder if they charge for broken parts.
Customers are required to pay for carnage deemed "car abuse". I was honest with the guide about how I broke my axle, I didn't have to pay. I also gave the chase car mechanic who fixed it a 20 buck tip when we got to the hotel that night.

When they asked us how the wheels and tires got ruined my co-driver wouldn't even admit he was driving at the time. I KNOW he was aware of what happend, I heard him say "OOOOF!" on the intercom when he hit the boulder. Within a couple of minutes the car was all over the road, I looked out and saw the flat right rear tire and told him to pull over. Later on after the tires had been swapped the guide was looking at the tacoed wheel on the back and asked my partner what he hit. He replied, "nothing!". The guide shook his head and said, "that's must have been a whole lot of NOTHING." Wrong answer, they charged him $500 for 2 tires and 2 wheels at the end of the trip. They warned us at the orientation that they don't tolerate abuse of their vehicles.

BTW, the guide said the 4 day trip we did goes for about $3800. I'll know exactly when I get the form 1099 from the IRS at the end of the year.

Well, when I can take my own rig, there's no way it's worth $3800. As vacations go, if someone really wanted to do that it makes sense. But, I live too close and have a rig that can run down there. A couple of grand could buy some nice bypass shocks and maybe some air bumps. :D

Yeah, Alex, I really want to do a trip to explore around and see the place. I'll be back next year, if not later this year. We WILL put together an XJ trip down there. Start upgrading those shocks and bumpstops. :)

Looks like you had the time of your life, I'm happy for you. I've (recently) spent a year of my life down there (in the town of La Paz) and its one of the most amazing regions of the earth, truly. I had the old XJ down there and really put it to use. People down there have such a different attitude to "off-highway transportation." Its not viewed in such a negative light like it is here people don't start that bull* down there. Theres exceptions but property owners usually don't care so long as you stay on a trail and don't mess it up, I stopped at some ranchos before and offered up a box of powdered doughnuts or cold cokes and thats appreciated. Theres also a general attitude down there that beach access is an inalienable right, property owners aren't supposed to block it.

Anyway, I diddn't do any long distance travel like you did but I did explore a lot of remote places like beaches and mountains. I did visit that same mission. The thing about doing this is in Baja is that when you want to offroad to a specific destination there are 15 different trails that go off every direction soon as you leave the highway and 14 of them go nowhere interesting so its easy to get lost. I was living, working and taking classes there so I was lucky, I had local friends to show me where places are but otherwise its super easy to get lost. I recommend meeting up with a local or going in a group with someone that has been where you want to go before. Also if you like fishing or diving or any watersports its a world class destination.

The Baja 1000 race is pretty amazing. Heres why: the race is usually run in apx. 15-19 hrs, thats on rough offroad trails. It takes 22 hrs. to go the same route- on the bus- which runs on the paved highway. I watched some of it live in 2004, I wasn't too impressed just a bunch of buggies going by and a whole lot of dust. Actually driving the course sounds like a whole lot of fun though.

Anyway, if you want to take a trip to Baja California Sur, do it soon. Though the natural splendor and wide open beaches are 99.9% undeveloped, its changing REALLY FAST. Cabo, when I arrived down there was still a little village with a few hotels. A couple years later now and in comparison its a full-fledged city that would make California urban sprawl look quaint. The remote, scenic southern half of the peninsula is rapidly joining the 21st century. The place is really poised to change, probably not for the better when these areas aren't so difficult to access. Its still a huge, remote area but I feel that is isin't the same now as even 2 years ago so if you have a Jeep, head south, get on Mexico Highway One and take it all the way down, to the end of the peninsula. Just don't go in the summer because its so damn HOT the devil couldn't stand the midday heat.

Let me know if you want information about a specific place down there or want to see pictures on seperate thread. I hope you enjoyed your trip Alex (my name too) you got to see what I think is the better part of one of the most unique regions of the earth and have your own off-road racing adventrue doing it.

I could build a whole buggy for $3800. Course, it'll be an air cooled VW, but still, that's a little rich for my blood. And you know I would get charged out the wazoo for broken stuff, cuz, well...it's ME.

Overnight trip to San Diego, then where to?

SeanP

I'm studying the maps and guide books. ;)

:read:

Goatman said:
Yeah, Alex, I really want to do a trip to explore around and see the place. I'll be back next year, if not later this year. We WILL put together an XJ trip down there. Start upgrading those shocks and bumpstops. :)
I'm not worried about the suspension, it is the humpty-dumpty unibody! While I was driving that buggy down those washboarded and whooped out roads at freeway speeds I kept thinking doing that would crack my 5000lb XJ in half.

bajacalal said:
Let me know if you want information about a specific place down there or want to see pictures on seperate thread. I hope you enjoyed your trip Alex (my name too) you got to see what I think is the better part of one of the most unique regions of the earth and have your own off-road racing adventrue doing it.
I would like to see everything you have got. This is a good one:

http://www.bajataco.com/Baja/bajamap.html

I would like to take some time off and do that... like spring time. The ENTIRE spring. :looney:

Back