• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where did you go wheeling this weekend?

Looks like I get the lightweight award for this weekend :doh:
Just some light trails in Cleavland national park.
image_3.jpg

image_2.jpg

Camped at Eagle Valley Reservoir from Thursday till Monday.

Ran 90 miles of easy dirt roads toward Elgin, where I was planning on picking up some harder trails for the rest of the way up to Eagle Valley, but just before Elgin something started to come apart in either my differential or tcase. Put it in 2wd and got out to the pavement since it was already after dark.

Next problem was my ball joints are so bad I can't go over 35 mph on the pavement now, so it was a slow painful drive. On the way back I went the exact same route to avoid the interstate and all but a couple miles of Vegas traffic. But since I was in 2wd I had to keep it quite a bit slower, although I did still have a ranger yell at me cause he saw me drifting around a turn.

Eagle Valley Resevoir was fairly nice, although packed since it was memorial day weekend. Good group of my friends up there, lot of fun. Except from Friday morning till Saturday at sunset it was very cold, 50+ mph winds (probably broke 70 mph a few times) and snowing/sleeting off and on. The wind ripped several of the other guys tents apart, and a few of them hadn't brought any cold weather clothes. After it cleared up did some fishing, and drove up into the mountain to do some shooting.

On the drive up there - This is why you stay slow enough to stop within the distance you can see
P5241072.jpg

Eagle Valley Reservoir
P5271081.jpg

Sorry I don't really have any great pictures, didn't take many this weekend.

Last edited:
I went wheeling up in sky valley with XJrealm and came up a huge sand hill that he got up before me because I was "too cool" to air down at the start, only to find out he was taking a shit while looking at the city/me come up the hill! :clap:

Bumping an old thread since it was too good to die. What do you guys like for easy camping spots a reasonable distance from Irvine CA? Anything closer than JV or Big Bear?

bluejay campground off the 74 east of san juan capistrano? never camped there but been through it a bunch. seems ok.

ran dishpan up and down......7hrs one way......50 minutes the second time in 3 wheel drive

Rausch Creek, for NACFest. I hate mud. Rode with macgyvr on Saturday. Wheeled some nice trails, but then one of the others in the group got stuck in a big mud puddle. Cut the sidewall of the left front tire. Someone had a safety seal kit, so I tossed three plugs in the cut, only the notice cut just below it. It was difficult getting the plug in properly, because of all the mud. I hate mud. Decided to give up and change to the space, as the second cut was "L" shaped, would have take about 6 plugs, and the person was driving the rig home on Sunday

There is some difficult terrain out there. Outer Limits is extremely tough There are also some nice scenic trails as well.

Did I mention I hate mud?

David Bricker / SYR

I wheeled out of my garage to the edge of my driveway if that counts?

Back