• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheeling in 95 degree weather

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
Loved it!
Mid 90's today, so decided to head up to the hills. Had a nice scenic trail run with my friend Tom. The occasional shade was quite welcome. Nothing technical on this trail, but it is something different from the desert, and wanted to get up there before possible closures due to fire danger.

Had not been out in a while, but was happy that the Jeep made the climb up there, no overheating issues, never shut it off once. Though I did blow out my upper control arm bushings (radius arm style). But other than that, had a blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVPpBqVJgEM&feature=youtu.be

Looks like you had a blast! I'll be wheeling in the 95* temps in eastern KY in a couple weeks. I did it last year as well. My radiator was not in good shape last year, i now have a 3 row and new fan clutch and will have hood vents by then. Should help me out immensely.

KY? Damn... at least our heat is dry here.

I battled overheating all last year. I now have a stock radiator from NAPA, ZJ fan clutch from NAPA, Supersat, and the Royal Purple equivelant of Water Wetter, and the newer style electric fan. Temps are steady and can run all day with the desert heat.

Reminds me of when I sent my 20 year old son and two of his male friends to the store with a grocery list that included peanut butter, ky jelly, and dilX dough. I figured he would have to ask for help finding it. My wife and I laughed for an hour.

95? Lucky!

I just got back from a little wheeling north of Phoenix, where it was 105. I had to do it in the Barbie-jeep 'cause the XJ started weeping coolant out of the tank seams when I stopped for gas on the way out. I was wondering when that was going to happen.('Put a kink in the day, that.)

Yeah, we have hotter temps coming up. This was a good shakedown to see if the cooling system is finally going to hold up. So far so good.

Spend the morning pulling control arms tracking down a clunk. Looks like some new bushings are due for the long arms.

95? Lucky!

I just got back from a little wheeling north of Phoenix, where it was 105. I had to do it in the Barbie-jeep 'cause the XJ started weeping coolant out of the tank seams when I stopped for gas on the way out. I was wondering when that was going to happen.('Put a kink in the day, that.)

95? Lucky!

And what's the humidity? Hell, it was 105 here in Centex today with 40+% humidity. It's moist.

KY? Damn... at least our heat is dry here.

I battled overheating all last year. I now have a stock radiator from NAPA, ZJ fan clutch from NAPA, Supersat, and the Royal Purple equivelant of Water Wetter, and the newer style electric fan. Temps are steady and can run all day with the desert heat.

How much does that water wetter stuff help? I thought about trying it out. And yes, the humidity is usually terrible. I dunno if it will be this year, we have fire weather warnings because we haven't had humidity or rain for a while now.

What's humidity? :D

Man do I feel sorry for everyone back east.
yea, i dont miss that crap.

i'm interested to see how the heep does in the heat too, especially with the ac on. it never seemed to go much higher than 220, so we'll see. and now i have the zj fan clutch in it. the only issue is when it gets to 220ish, the clutch pedal pretty much has to be on the floor to disengage. someone suggested dot 4 which i'll try, hopefully that will help.
sadly my temp gage goes crazy all the time so i can't really rely on that anymore.

I like to think it helps, at least in theory it is a good idea (surfactants and all). I do not run anti-freeze this time of year, so the water pump lubricant is also a welcome benefit.

How much does that water wetter stuff help? I thought about trying it out. And yes, the humidity is usually terrible. I dunno if it will be this year, we have fire weather warnings because we haven't had humidity or rain for a while now.

Back