• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's the best way to permanently join two pieces of rubber

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've been working on a project and the last item on the list is giving me fits. Basically I have two pieces of soft rubber that will seal an opening from both sides. I need to glue those pieces together then warble it into the hole so the new single piece will seal both sides.

I've tried contact cement, rubber cement, 3M gasket adhesive, gorilla glue, and they all separate from the rubber as soon as I twist the seal to push it into the hole.

I'm about ready to drill some holes and use pop rivets around the rubber as a permanent clamp but figured I would ask here if anybody knows of something super powerful for rubber that will permanently bond two pieces together and doesn't require a waiver from the EPA.

Is there anything preventing you from using a single piece of rubber - even with a slit in it to pass the shaft (or whatever you're sealing around?) The more joins you can eliminate, the more potential failures you've done away with...

Pix of the app would help, if you can swing it.

ehall said:
I don't have the option of forming a single piece. I have two pieces that will work perfectly if I can just join them together.

Ah. Just a thought, anyhow.

Seems to me you'd want to listen to the R/C guys at this point - they do stuff like this all the time. So, you should probably start there.

If you do figure out something that works, I'd love to hear about it - it's something else to add to the Tech Notebooks for me, so I could answer this question the next time it comes up (believe me, you won't be the only one who wants to know how to do this...)

Look for some kind of "tire glue" such as the afore mentioned IC2000. You should be able to find it at any hobbywhop that carried Bob Smith Adheasives
Here's their CA site, the IC2000 is part way down the screen
http://www.bsiadhesives.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html
No matter what adheasive you use, make sure you clean it as best as you can with something like rubbing alchohal before you apply the stuff, them make sure you do not get any on yourself....trust me...tire glues of any brand bond quicker to flesh and cloth than anything else I've used them on;)

Try some Loctite 495 glue. We use it on overlapping belts that have a rubber surface.
Is the rubber natural or a silicone type ? We also heat and melt/fuse the two ends together on a 3/4" round belt.The tool looks like a soldering iron with a wide blade,a fixture holds the belt and after heating the ends applies pressure until they fuse together.

Wayne

I was cleaning the pieces this morning and noticed that there were bits of the 3M stuff clinging pretty good, so I gave that another shot and let it set alone for a while. Seems to be doing good after half a day, we'll see how it does after it's cured. Might need 72 hours to get a good set from it.

Since 5-90 asked for the final solution, I ended up using some 3M Body Panel Adhesive and it has held up great. I am able to pry the rubber pieces apart with some effort, but they don't separate under normal load. I had gone to a friends garage to borrow some windshield adhesive and he gave me some of the 3M stuff instead.

The application is that I have two different door-jamb booties glued together (for my removable doors). The booties are tugged everytime the door opens, plus there is a lot of twisting and pushing to get the booties into the A-pillar opening. The 3M adhesive has lasted all fall and winter.

Well, when we have a hole or rip in our Spill Guards at work we use a heat gun and heat up both the guard and patch piece and then melt them together. Use a little elbow grease with a roller to ensure they are meshing together.

mac

Being one of the rc nuts who has done this a billion times I can tell you that CA(Cyrano Acrylic) glue aka "super-glue" instantly bonds rubber to most surfaces(including fingers). If you go to any hobby store(Hobbytown USA is a popular chain) they will have a dozen kinds ranging from cheap stuff to rediculously priced stuff. All do the same thing, just make sure it says CA glue, tire glue, or something similar.

i was wondering what i can use to like weld two pieces of rubber back together like it is one pieces again but also handle high stress of being stretched over and over again. i think on here or somewhere else some one said tire inter tube repair kit. But would it effectively bond and "weld" them back together aside from just heating the two up and letting them fuse back together that way. Any advice would help, thanks for reading.

Gorilla Snot, aka weatherstrip adhesive.

I glue hockey pucks together for bump stops with it.

Ok so if i used a inner tire repair kit to bond my two pieces of butyl rubber together. Will it permanently weld and allow to stretch, and not pull apart.

Back