• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Am I Hearing? Gear Noise?

LKN_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone - I recently installed a B.Lee 3-Link in my 91 XJ, and while the axle was out, I swapped in a lower mileage HP Dana 30. Mine had 360k and since they're plentiful, I just picked one up that supposedly had lower mileage.

Before installing, I checked backlash and it was in spec. I didn't check internal bearings or anything like that. Just went for it.

After the 3-link install and axle swap, I figured I'd take a test drive and determine the status of the axle. I should mention the front DS is out for all of these test drives to eliminate this as a source.

I heard what I can best described as a pulsing grinding/roaring sound. It starts at 25 mph and increases in volume as you go faster. I think the noise stops getting louder around 55 and just maintains as speed increases. It pulses every second or so, and sometimes is just a constant roar.

I knew it wasn't the tires because they were quiet before the swap and I reinstalled them on the same 4 corners. I know it's not the rear making noise. It's recently rebuilt and is very quiet. So, I replaced everything it could be. I tore the axle ends down to the C's and did ball joints, u-joints, new spindles and unit bearings. All this made absolutely no difference.

Could this be a differential bearing if the backlash was in spec? Visually the gears looked fine. Not sure how to diagnose the diff other than backlash. Is it time for a re-gear? Thanks for the help in advance.

did you spin the yoke to "feel" for a gritty bearing. That is what is sounds like to me. I would pull the front cover off and pull axle shafts and spin it by hand to feel for it. Did the axle sit up for a while. If so, I have seen bearings rust from condensation from sitting and be tight, but noisy.

I'm with guesswho. Rotate the pinion (with the drive shaft disconnected) and feel for something that could be sloppy or grinding/binding. Sounds like you could have a bad pinion or carrier bearing.

Any chance the front driveshaft joints or CV need grease? Maybe they got dry.

did you spin the yoke to "feel" for a gritty bearing. That is what is sounds like to me. I would pull the front cover off and pull axle shafts and spin it by hand to feel for it. Did the axle sit up for a while. If so, I have seen bearings rust from condensation from sitting and be tight, but noisy.

Thanks for the reply - i'm sure the axle sat for a while. When I emptied the axle of fluid and cleaned with brake cleaner I spun the yoke and it did feel more gritty than my old axle, but I attributed that to it being dry of fluid (metal on metal). Maybe I was wrong here and it was actually a bearing like you're referring to.

Would it be possible for the new fluid to permeate that bearing and quieten it over time?

I've noticed lately that at highway speed the noise seems to go away completely..

Also, I noticed I probably posted in the wrong section - should have posted in OEM tech. Sorry!

You are in NC so you are among friends.... I'd bet the bearings are rusty. As you drive it it might quiet down over time. Maybe do another cleaning and put fresh gear oil in and see if that helps.

You are in NC so you are among friends.... I'd bet the bearings are rusty. As you drive it it might quiet down over time. Maybe do another cleaning and put fresh gear oil in and see if that helps.

True! Would you believe I've never wheeled this thing 😂

I'm dying to try out Uwharrie but I'm a little nervous about breaking something, getting stuck/stranded...etc. I need to get over that.

a563fe2639cc97d979e2c90f9f698bce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice XJ!

True! Would you believe I've never wheeled this thing 😂

I'm dying to try out Uwharrie but I'm a little nervous about breaking something, getting stuck/stranded...etc. I need to get over that.

a563fe2639cc97d979e2c90f9f698bce.jpg

Yea I like. I go to URE often. I go to the work days a good bit. I'll post up in the forums next time I go. I broke my rear shaft recently and need to get an upgrade.

Yea I like. I go to URE often. I go to the work days a good bit. I'll post up in the forums next time I go. I broke my rear shaft recently and need to get an upgrade.

Please do! I'm currently without an e-brake and have short brake lines. I'm thinking I need these things before I make a trip to URE.

Back