• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WE MADE IT!!! AND...

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 102" piece of junk to add to the carnage trophy :)

So we left Ocala yesterday at about 945 AM.

By 9 PM last night we had eased our way smoothly to somewhere off I40/75 outside Knoxville, TN.

Ate at SHoney's...saw a decent looking 2 dr XJ lifted on 33's.

Left Shoney's and when we were a about 45 miles out from the campground on 25E...stopped one last time just to walk off the cobwebs. (seems silly being so close but in fact it wasn't!!)

I got out to do the usual walkaround my trailer and something didn't seem right.

My trailer has 2 axles...meaning 4 wheels and tires. But for some reason I could not count that high. NO matter how hard I tried...I even had a local smile at me and I could count higher on his teeth than the # 3 I kept getting when I looked at my trailer tires.

Somewhere in the previous 120 miles I lost a complete hub/wheel/tire assembly on my trailer. No noise, no odd handling, not one single warning that something was wrong.

So the tire left on that side was quite warm...we waited 20 minutes or so to let it cool down and eased the final 45 miles or so up 25E to 119 to the campground. Needless to say each time I nudged the rumble strips in the middle of the road everyone in both trucks made their seat look like a dually had run it over.

Apparently the outer bearing on that hub decided to take a break and looks to have siezed up, detroyed its part of the spindle and then took out the cotter pin, spun off the spindle nut and the hub, wheel, and tire escaped into the bush.

Excluding an actual vehicle I have possibly the largest addition yet to the carnage award...and no one has even wheeled yet!!!!

Wow that isn't fun. Glad everyone is ok. So I guess you will be looking for an axle for that thing?

That is crazy that you didn't feel anything. WOW.

That is crazy that you didn't feel anything. WOW.

Very crazy...no noise, no wierd handling...nothing.

It is a heavy duty trailer...it's only 16' long (14 deck 2 dove) but it'll carry 10K as it sits (with 4 tires).

Yeah Glen either an axle or a new trailer...if it costs me more than $x I may just try to finance something a little bigger (longer) so I can get maybe a 4 wheeler on it with the MJ instead putting it in the truck etc.

I bought my 18ft trailer, no dovetail, with fold down ramps and spare for $2100 from Gatormade Trailers... they are in Kentucky. Some of you may have seen it before, I bought it just before the crawl we had in Alabama , morris mountain I think. Pretty nice trailer too, I would consider buying another one...

166510_10150129104335937_3722081_n.jpg

best pic I could find right now...

Here as well...

Made it with all four tires on the trailer.

Trusted the gps and took hwy 160 from Virginia into Kentucky...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_160_(VA)

Over an hour to go 20+ miles...

Hair pin turns, switchbacks, on the floor 10-15mph in the RV...

10-15 mph coming down trying not to burn the brakes up.

It had also just rained.

The girls watched a movie in the back...I had white knuckles and was sweating.

mac 'I need a drink' gyvr

When we were leaving the crawl last year, I missed the exit for I275 around Cincinnati, so we started heading on to I74. It kept telling me to get off 74, and get back on 74.

After three or four times of that bs, and going down super narrow streets to get back onto 74, the gps got chucked to the back of the suburban and we eventually found our way out of that hellhole.

Morale of the story: don't always trust it.

Mac, in hindsight, I think you could have taken I81 to Bristol, then 421 right into Harlan.

k5 'joys of towing' matt

I don't trust it and forgot to look before we left. I tried to look on the way, but with driving at the same time and my wife and a road atlas (always have one), don't get along very well...

I wish you were online to post that a few hours ago :)

Going home via 75...so will have to remember that if I do nacfest to Harlan again

mac 'wiped out' gyvr

And you could have rolled past the Bristol Motor Speedway too. Someday I'll catch the night race down there...

k5 'go kenseth' matt

Mac, in hindsight, I think you could have taken I81 to Bristol, then 421 right into Harlan.

The first year Nick and I went to the crawl we went that way. That stretch of 421 is very curvy, but not very hilly from what I recall.

I went to both Bristol races in 06...

mac 'go Carl!' gyvr

Back