• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washington state emissions--what is tested?

cnugent

NAXJA Forum User
Been reading their various websites, but I don't see exactly where the procedure is outlined, step-by-step, for a Washington state emissions test. When I watched them, it seemed to me that all they do is plug in a code reader and check for codes. There's no exhaust gas sensing/test? No visual inspection of equipment under the hood or on the exhaust?

Anybody know exactly what the standards are and what is being tested? Or where I can read detailed info on this?

Thanks!

Chris

For my 1998 XJ (and vehicles after that year) all they do is plug into OBD2 plug and check for codes. No visual, no sniffer test, no gas cap or exhaust check, and it costs $15. They do this every 2 years. Not sure what year they do sniffer on, my guess is 1996 and earlier.

Edit: Apparently 2009+ vehicles are exempt from testing.

Last edited:
I just find it fascinating that it seems so lax. I just moved here from Colorado, and there they test all that stuff. Visually inspect all emissions equipment is present, OBD code scan, sniff test, the works. I would have thought it would have been much more strict here given the blueness of the state. ;)

Not sure if it is true, but i heard that within the next two years they are doing away completely with deq.

When i take my work van in for testing (2007 GMC Savana cutaway) they do the OBD2 and the sniffer. Not sure if they are doing it for clean idle cert or what.

CNUGENT...

What county are you moving to?

I live in Thurston to avoid emissions. Swing by and listen to the Mustang to truly understand...

When I was a kid my Oldman got a P.O.box in Island County to register his cars in a exempt county. We lived in Snohomish at the time. He did that for years before we move to Whidbey.
Might be with a shot?

sent by my Arse because my hands are full.

My reasons were different. But that still might work...

My '00 just failed,02 sensor and no SPEEDOMETER sensor! What does my speedo have to do with clean air? My 02 has gone on and off for a year don't care.but new one is still55$ errr

Back