• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Walker Valley - Leftover Turkey run for those who had to work.

Metal Thrasher

NAXJA Forum User
Well actually I was the only NAXJA guy on the run but some light recruiting was done. Along with my buddy Mitch in his Rubicon we had his friend Bill in a 2door Cherokee.
PB300001.jpg

PB300002.jpg

We ran up the lower part of Lower Mainline. It is actually a bit tougher going up than down. I managed to keep my rig properly oriented in that particular corner:
PB300010.jpg

PB300021.jpg

The mud and stumps on the trail made it enjoyable.
Then we ran the main part of Lower Mainline. It is disappointing to say the least. The logging crews turned it into a skid road with rock filling all the mud and obstacles. I am fairly offended that all the work the Timber Tamers put in on the bottom section has been negated by the logging crews. We should defenitely see if this is a concern we need to address with the DNR as to the work that has been done on Expressway (Michael, could you send me Elise's email? I'll courtesously take the lead on that.)
PB300029.jpg

We then went looking for the "Old Jeep Trail with the big rock in it". This turned out to be the isolated part of Upper Mainline that is know for the hill with lattice blocks and ends in a stump field.
PB300038.jpg

The rock again got the best of my rig after beating it with my rockers I decided to winch rather than fight. I then got schooled by Bill in his shorter XJ. He took the perfect line and nicely came around it. Mitch's Rubicon also did well (cough, lockers, cough)...
PB300032.jpg

PB300035.jpg

Bill rubbed his differential on a few of the stumps at the trails end.

We then went looking for Upper Main Line - the main portion to exit the Valley. I managed to find the Lake Cavanaugh exit instead... I really need to take a map with me. So as one of the passengers was feeling sick and I was thinking that we had emerged very unscathed we aired up and drove into the setting sun.

In all a good day. The warm, clear weather and the few rigs there made it enjoyable.

hey Tracey nice report you should of posted up a little earlier i would of gone up with you guys pm me and i will send you my number:phone:. Besides who is going to pull you back onto all four if not me.:laugh:
Duane

NAXJWALKER074-1.jpg

NAXJWALKER076.jpg

hey Tracey nice report you should of posted up a little earlier i would of gone up with you guys pm me and i will send you my number:phone:. Besides who is going to pull you back onto all four if not me.:laugh:
Duane

Yeah the Rubicon has a winch as well.... And I made sure not to put my rig in that position again. :sad1: This was really their run, I tagged along.

Although the logging crew I am sure had much to do with the "new" condition of Lower Mainline, it was actually the DNR that decided to make it such a "highway". I gather the idea was to make an easy way to get up to the new skills area and although some of them didn't think this was a good idea, "management" asked for it to be done.

Michael

Although the logging crew I am sure had much to do with the "new" condition of Lower Mainline, it was actually the DNR that decided to make it such a "highway". I gather the idea was to make an easy way to get up to the new skills area and although some of them didn't think this was a good idea, "management" asked for it to be done.

Michael

WOW!!

All they needed to do was set up a gate keeper at the second Entrance on Lake Cavanaugh Road. That gives direct access via gravel roads straight to the Skills Area. It is posted as seasonally open from Oct - Dec and has actually been fully open for the past year.

Back