• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Video's & Photos in Wharton State Park - NJ Pine Barrens

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Had to move this thread here :)

Gear...
Video: GoPro Hero Cam WIDE
Still: D2x, 28-105, Aperture Priority, 200 ISO. No PP. What you see is how the photos were taken.

So this was a spur of the moment trip. It was only going to be myself and another buddy or two, but we ended up with 3 XJ's and 2 TJ's (Mine included). We met at the Atsion Ranger Station off of Route 206 and headed back to the "1/4 Mile" as it's called. A lot of guys with massive full size trucks and Duece and a Half's come through the area often and tear it up. Some of the ruts in this area can easily put a lifted TJ on 35's under water over the hood. We typically avoid this area for actual wheeling, but we do check it out on our way through the forest.

Some of the holes, note the dark water - can't see the depth at all:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/gallery/8563275_bCVKr#564167055_35W2h-A-LB

564044574_TuQTC-XL.jpg

564053153_ax4oh-XL.jpg

564057824_uvHpj-XL.jpg

564060544_68GqQ-XL.jpg

We hung out there for a few mins, tried some of the holes, realized that the recent rains really brought the water level up, and eventually left the area fearing hydro-lock. One of the XJ's sunk pretty deep and took water into his airbox:

Video:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/gallery/8563275_bCVKr#564146040_MdGYc-A-LB

564061947_3BGyU-XL.jpg

564062477_3ZX7a-XL.jpg

564064571_vSUHS-XL.jpg

564066083_gMrpM-XL.jpg

The water was then sucked into the engine. Fearing hydro-lock, we pulled the plugs, filter, throttle

body, etc. There was water pooled in the throttle body pretty bad. A straw and siphon method was used at first, but then rags were being used:

Video:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/gallery/8563275_bCVKr#564147229_y4c2C-A-LB

564070070_WSqin-XL.jpg

564070928_JUjnn-XL.jpg

564071643_g45Lg-XL.jpg

There was also water in all 6 cylinders. PB Blaster was used inside the cylinders and we cranked over the engine for a few minutes while water was jettisoned out of each cylinder, mainly the #1 cylinder. After about 1.5 hours he was good to go.

We made our way to a hill climb and grabbed some photos and video's. The shots of me driving my blue TJ were taken with my camera by my friend Tom with the green XJ:

TJ almost flipping:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/gallery/8563275_bCVKr#564135536_Ztveg-A-LB

XJ climbing:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/gallery/8563275_bCVKr#564157352_3fRw7-A-LB

My stocker TJ making the climb:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/gallery/8563275_bCVKr#564153436_uRePZ-A-LB

564075443_q58xa-XL.jpg

564078641_s2fPp-XL.jpg

564081511_y8CVg-XL.jpg

564087769_uvvKD-XL.jpg

564092842_sH2Sw-XL.jpg

564096347_yjK2u-XL.jpg

564096593_i4vp8-XL.jpg

564103040_nzbtd-XL.jpg

564117017_JsqCZ-XL.jpg

564122814_bcKa8-XL.jpg

564126539_NHBFf-XL.jpg

564047701_DgcnT-XL.jpg

2 XJ's and the other TJ then decided to head out. Myself, my passenger, and my buddy Tom in his XJ decided to go to Apple Pie Hill and the Fire Tower. We cruised out that way and arrived about an hour later:

http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/gallery/8563275_bCVKr#564161702_yjfJ5-A-LB

This is a fairly tall fire tower where idiots enjoy dropping items off the top to see what happens when they hit the ground. Anywho, here are some photos of that:

564128675_SANp2-XL.jpg

564131611_7ffCu-XL.jpg

After getting back to the fam's place in Brick:

564048092_WepHh-XL.jpg

All in all it was a good day. Not too much damage. The green TJ got a flat tire (came off the bead we think). My buddy Tom's Green 2 door XJ damaged the rear bumper and broke the tail light backing into a stump. He also blew a hub on the way to work this morning. That seems to be the extend of current damage *knock on wood*.

nice pics and rigs,yea me and my buddies used to go to wharton all the time,theres alot of deep water out there. Thats where i blew my ranger on 35's up. Have yet to take the xj back there...waiting on a snorkel and winch.

been down there once myself actually, it was a good time. we did the 1/4 mile but there were some guys there with built JK's and waders to help figure out where to go. through the big holes. only one guy got stuck but its because he took a muddy offshoot. You really have to be careful there. If you ever want to go in the fall let me know. I go to school down there at stockton. I dont know the trails very well so maybe we could get a group together and do some exploring

The water was then sucked into the engine. Fearing hydro-lock, we pulled the plugs, filter, throttle

body, etc. There was water pooled in the throttle body pretty bad. A straw and siphon method was used at first, but then rags were being used:

There was also water in all 6 cylinders. PB Blaster was used inside the cylinders and we cranked over the engine for a few minutes while water was jettisoned out of each cylinder, mainly the #1 cylinder. After about 1.5 hours he was good to go.

Start the clock...based on typical 4.0 experience, it'll throw a rod within a week. :D

Nice pics though, it's been a while since I've been out in the pines. Last time I did 1/4-mile it was during a drought and was easy on 33's. :shhh:

let me know the next time your goin out, i can get 3-6 more trucks out, we were just out that way last night testing my xj out since i just got it on the road yesterday, im going out saturday the 27th and 4th of july at a place down rt 55, pm me if you want info

Last time I did 1/4-mile it was during a drought and was easy on 33's. :shhh:

Yea I did it this spring on 31's, locked in the rear. it more about the line you take in there cuz it could drop off without you knowing it. we had some good spotters go through first tho

that's one cute yellow XJ! ;)

In that first hole, I hydro'd my motor last April. Cracked the piston around the edges (the guides that keep it level in the cylinder). It never broke off completely, but started taping badly about 9 months later.

the main problem for the red XJ in our group last week was that his intake manifold filled with water. The cylinders didn't have very much in them, but there was a lot of water left in the intake that wouldn't go into the engine. That's when the straw and rags came into play.

FYI.
The hill is definitely illegal to drive up. (not the fire tower one, the other in the pics)
Some jokers rip the NO MOTOR VEHICLES signs down within days of the ParkRangers posting them.
So most people see tire tracks and think it's OK.

Now, I'm not trying to start a flaming thread here, just a friendly heads up, keep your eys open.

There are some big fines to pay if caught.

Start the clock...based on typical 4.0 experience, it'll throw a rod within a week. :D

Nice pics though, it's been a while since I've been out in the pines. Last time I did 1/4-mile it was during a drought and was easy on 33's. :shhh:

Could be right about the rod.
Some hard core guys do an oil change in the woods after cleaning the water out of the cylinders.
The clue is the dip stick has muddy water on it and the level is higher than normal.

nice pics! that place looks awesome.. might have to look into this. gotta get a snorkel first it seems

FYI.
The hill is definitely illegal to drive up. (not the fire tower one, the other in the pics)
Some jokers rip the NO MOTOR VEHICLES signs down within days of the ParkRangers posting them.
So most people see tire tracks and think it's OK.

Now, I'm not trying to start a flaming thread here, just a friendly heads up, keep your eys open.

There are some big fines to pay if caught.

I've heard this but never seen confirmation, either on signage or online anywhere. I've been going to the Pines for 10 years. I've seen signs in places and I obviously avoid those places. Do you have a link or any concrete evidence that it's indeed illegal to drive up/down that hill?

I'm thinking of going down here this weekend and finding a place to camp, probably Saturday early. Anyone up for a ride on Sunday, or camp on Sat night? Any info?

great pics , not to be a party pooper but watch where you go in wharton there cracking down on places like 1/4 mile high crossing and mount jamima , we had state park police come to a club meeting and tell us where we could and couldnt go these 3 were on the no no list :eyes: just a heads up , but water road and rock wood are far game they are on us topo maps makes them legal to wheel :wave1:

great pics , not to be a party pooper but watch where you go in wharton there cracking down on places like 1/4 mile high crossing and mount jamima , we had state park police come to a club meeting and tell us where we could and couldnt go these 3 were on the no no list :eyes: just a heads up , but water road and rock wood are far game they are on us topo maps makes them legal to wheel :wave1:
Which club?

I've heard this but never seen confirmation, either on signage or online anywhere. I've been going to the Pines for 10 years. I've seen signs in places and I obviously avoid those places. Do you have a link or any concrete evidence that it's indeed illegal to drive up/down that hill?
just ask any ranger about jemimia mount or however you spell it. lived there for about 27 years and it has been enforced for about 6-7.

Back