• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Venting about work

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I just need to vent a little.

As the holidays get closer my work gets crazier and this year I swear is worse than the previous 8 that I've been there. We have new supervisors who only care about their shifts payroll numbers and nothing else. I know it doesn't sound like anything new and it isn't but it's frustrating to no end to see poor decisions made by well paid supervisors that only end up costing the company money.

The supervisors I deal with are only out to make themselves look good on paper and if its running the company into the ground they could careless.

I really enjoy my job and want the company to do well so I have a job in the long term but seeing things happen on a daily basis that cost the company money worries me. If they can save 10 bucks on their shifts payroll but it costs the company 1,000 bucks on another payroll, they do it.

I've brought it to the attention of everyone I can higher up and nothing seems to be done and only gotten worse. Since they are bringing their payroll down it all looks good on paper and thats all that matters to these people.

/hopeless rant.

Do you work with me? My douchebag director is leaving tomorrow. That should make my days better.

I do corporate consulting and analytics for a living and what you're describing is not exclusive to your company - every large corporation who's model gives managers places to "hide" is exactly like this. Salaries & Related expenses are the easiest costs to manipulate on a P&L statement, so it's the go-to for all uncreative managers that aren't motivated and/or knowledgeable enough to change other aspects within their department.

My only advice to you would be, if you have solid ideas to improve the company - bring those ideas to your superiors; not just the problems. They've already got 99 problems, they don't need yours too. What they need are solutions. Solutions are the difference between being an asset or a pain in the ass.

What I would do is set up a time to meet with your Bosses's boss and explain that you've got some unbiased ideas that could help the company's productivity or cost structure - make sure that HR has this meeting documented and lead with "Here are opportunities A,B,C - and here are some potential solutions that may help."

If you want to make some serious changes you need to be Man enough to step-up. If not, you're taking the same position as the do-nothing managers that you hate so much.

Jim

Back