• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Up-Country Springs

i have OME, pricey yes but it rides alot better than stock, Old Man Emu is better than other lifts for ride and handling. IMOI

Kejtar said:
ok... but IIRC he has 97, so he has the newer body style and it was discussed heavily before over and over again that something changed and whereas you could stuff up to and sometimes including 30" tire on an older model, the newer ones made it harder.... so the fuct that your 91 works great with UC springs from a 99, the same springs are yielding less of a benefit on a 97+ so the question I present once again, why spend the money and effor on UC if they will allow for almost as much (or rather as little) as stock?

What you're all missing is that the Up Country option was more than just taller springs. The rear bumpstops are also considerably taller than the "stock" bumpstops, which limits wheel/tire up travel.. Without the taller bumpstops, it doesn't matter if you have a 1" lift, a 2" lift or a 3" lift, the rear tires will still clip the trailing corner of the rear flares when the suspension is fully compressed.

With the taller Up Country bumpstops (which I run even on the '88 at stock height, because the originals rusted off and I had to buy something) it should be possible to run 30x9.50 ATs with no rubbing, but MT/Rs may be a bit of an interference fit.

Kejtar said:
Not taller but stiffer.

Taller AND stiffer. The Up Country springs ride 1"+ higher than "stock." I didn't mention the higher rate because it didn't seem pertinent to the discussion.

Eagle said:
Taller AND stiffer. The Up Country springs ride 1"+ higher than "stock." I didn't mention the higher rate because it didn't seem pertinent to the discussion.
I agree... what I was sreplying to was that they aren't just same pack arched differently

If 2" will work for you, get a Budget Boost from Rocky Road Outfitters. $110 will get you 2". I know your springs are sagged, but there's plenty of people tossing barely used springs...I'm sure someone will give you a free set. This will give you the lift you want, and the stock ride you want.
I used this BB on top of a 3" lift and it worked great....the .5" block didn't do any damage to my springs in three years of daily driving and a decent amount of wheeling.
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjsus.html

-Mike

Back