• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unit bearing / axle ID

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I've determined my passenger side unit bearing is chirping and has some wiggle.

Trying to decide which unit bearing to buy without first taking it apart.

My XJ is an '88 but at some point I swapped in a HP non disco housing. I have an old take off unit bearing sitting in the garage, but I can't remember if that's from the original axle or the swapped in axle.

So....question is: Can I determine which unit bearing to buy without first taking it apart?

Pardon me not to hijack your thread ,but I'm also having these sounds.

How did you check for wobble on the unit bearing without taking anything apart?

I have 99 hp30 but the only clear way i know to verify your unit bearing is to take the wheel and rotor off.

Lift the wheel off the ground. push in and out on the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position to check for play. If you have any play have a buddy push on the tire while you verify its not the ball joints moving.

the tire play is very loose, but I could not duplicate the play with the tire off and no leverage from the tire.

It's coming back to me.

Is it only the rotor and hub bearing that must be matched? If swapped together they can go on any D30, right?

If that is the case, I likely still have the older style unit bearings.

See the FAQ's -> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1058413

medium800.jpg

Look at Tim's picture and/or look at your brake rotors. Either will tell you what wheel bearing you need. SKF or Timken are recommended replacements. From Auto Zone, NAPA, Amazon, Rock Auto, or whatever you like to buy parts.

Back