• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Triple efan wiring questions

I have said many times and I reiterate, the stock setup in God working order is best. That being said, I am running two 12" fans and a 10" fan and it is barely adequate for most uses. If I could stand the noise of the mechanical fan I would go back to that. I am just too freaked out by the noise of the mechanical fan. I may yet go back to that setup.

John, I just switched over to a Derale mechanical fan and no clutch. Its supposed to be quieter, and its all aluminium so things spin up a little faster too.

I'll let you know after next weekend how loud it actually is.

I appreciate all the input from everyone. Mech fan it is. Guess I have to play around with clutches to see if the zj will work or not. Haha

Sure, tee for two at the thermostat housing. One goes to your O.E. CTS

and two to a RBM speed control with adj. dash pot i.e. VSC. The O.E. will

turn on est. 212*f and a aftermarker at your desired temperature setting

Should you decide to go E-fan.

Last edited:
John, I just switched over to a Derale mechanical fan and no clutch. Its supposed to be quieter, and its all aluminium so things spin up a little faster too.

I'll let you know after next weekend how loud it actually is.

Im curious as well. I need to get a clutch and decide if its enough clearance otherwise i may end up with someting similar. please let me know your findings.

well, we aren't going to find out this week. i fired the racecar up to move it yesterday and heard a funny noise.. looked under hte hood and the new fan was rubbing the shroud.

I need to order a new shorter spacer (i went 2", need 1.5") and reinstall it. I put the old setup back in to run this car this weekend.

Im curious as well. I need to get a clutch and decide if its enough clearance otherwise i may end up with someting similar. please let me know your findings.

Depends on the thickness of your radiator. The standard radiator is supposed to allow a ZJ fan clutch, but only the standard model, NOT the extreme duty. That's still an improvement over the standard XJ clutch. I am using a FF Dynamics radiator, which is a thinner two core than standard. I can just clear a ZJ extreme duty clutch. Just, being the clutch, unmodified, scrapes the radiator fins when installing it, to get it over the locating dowel. If I didn't have Brown dogs engine mounts, I'm not sure I'd want it that close to the radiator.

The clutch howls like a banshee, but it does keep the engine at proper temperature. And I have had a terrible litany of getting this thing cool. death Valley isn't exactly hospitable.

David Bricker / SYR

Depends on the thickness of your radiator. The standard radiator is supposed to allow a ZJ fan clutch, but only the standard model, NOT the extreme duty. That's still an improvement over the standard XJ clutch. I am using a FF Dynamics radiator, which is a thinner two core than standard. I can just clear a ZJ extreme duty clutch. Just, being the clutch, unmodified, scrapes the radiator fins when installing it, to get it over the locating dowel. If I didn't have Brown dogs engine mounts, I'm not sure I'd want it that close to the radiator.

The clutch howls like a banshee, but it does keep the engine at proper temperature. And I have had a terrible litany of getting this thing cool. death Valley isn't exactly hospitable.

David Bricker / SYR

I have read in a few threads that the CSF 3 core and oe both have the same core thickness but i would have to believe that the 3 core is a little bit bigger depth wise. I will have to measure it and mess around with it and see though. seeing you have the HD ZJ clutch is it a huge difference from stock depth wise or is it pretty close? Brown dogs are on my list of things i need before i put the new motor in thats for sure. I was going to get them anyway but i totally forgot about motor movement from the fan to rad until you posted it up. good call. haha.

They may have the same core thickness per core, but the radiators are not the same thickness overall.

I have 100% brand new stock components with the Dirtbound three fan setup. Just a cheap Spectra Premium radiator in the same stock style. It cools just fine keeping it below 210ºF even in 100ºF+ Alabama heat with me abusing the accelerator. That is with two fans wired to turn on past 165ºF and the third with air conditioner or higher temperatures.

Of course I can not say how it would hold up out in a desert running around at 115ºF+.

Have you considered a 4500 cfm Taurus e-fan?
Done and tested in the Australian outback deserts, auto trany, on sand dunes, towing a trailer with the ac on, in summer. 45*c +.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm
As for losing hp because of the extra amp draw on the alternator having it run all the time, compared to the extra hp you free up by not having to swing that mech fan around its a non issue.
E-fan is hands down the best hp gain per dollar I have done to my jeep.
Initaly was not that impressed with the way it is wired in that write up, with it off until the PCM switched on the fan cause it was "overheating"~103*c, was going to do something else, like staged fan kick in at different temps.
That was 4 years ago, I never revisited it, cause it works and is simple.
I did the trany cooler mod as well cause it was all figured out, just had to follow the instructions.
Incidentally the Taurus fan will fit horizontally if you get rid of the stock fan.
Good luck with it.

Have you considered a 4500 cfm Taurus e-fan?
Done and tested in the Australian outback deserts, auto trany, on sand dunes, towing a trailer with the ac on, in summer. 45*c +.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm
As for losing hp because of the extra amp draw on the alternator having it run all the time, compared to the extra hp you free up by not having to swing that mech fan around its a non issue.
E-fan is hands down the best hp gain per dollar I have done to my jeep.
Initaly was not that impressed with the way it is wired in that write up, with it off until the PCM switched on the fan cause it was "overheating"~103*c, was going to do something else, like staged fan kick in at different temps.
That was 4 years ago, I never revisited it, cause it works and is simple.
I did the trany cooler mod as well cause it was all figured out, just had to follow the instructions.
Incidentally the Taurus fan will fit horizontally if you get rid of the stock fan.
Good luck with it.

I have plenty of experience with taurus fans. I built a shroud and had one in my old chevy pre runner with a 2 core aluminum radiator, factory water pump, and a slightly modified small block 355. It worked pretty well but i wasnt able to run it when it was really hot out. It was very taxing on the crappy factory electrical system at startup, especially if i went straight to full on. That was my only real complaint but i think it would have been fine with a better built electircal system. i still have it and a couple of other 16in plus efans laying around so i will do some tinkering if the mech fan doesnt end up working. either way the triple 10s are off the table. Chalk one up to not enough research.

Back